Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 month ago

If you're accused of a really bad crime, why is the sun allowed to print a picture of you and reveal details before a conviction?

Update:

You could be found not guilty later but the sun has already trashed you.

Update 2:

It isn't in the public interest until there is a conviction.

Update 3:

@thing three, they do make accusations just by publishing it.

Update 4:

Plus they settle lawsuits daily, it doesn't bother them.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 5
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Because governments don't care about the damage to the reputations of innocent people. If they did, then everyone would have name suppression until they are found guilty, if they ever are. As things stand, plenty of people are given name suppression even AFTER being found guilty, while everyone accused of something - even if the accusation is a malicious lie - has their name sullied. Politicians simply don't care, or they'd fix this.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They get a kick out of it by making it interesting. To put it differently, they will insult anyone for a few dollars more or a few more pounds. 

• 1 month ago

The Editors of the Sun tabloid press paper, are most likely unaware of 'Innocent until proved guilty'.  However please be aware that even known paedophiles can be let off, if the Jury don't have the majority pleading guilty.  Especially if they are part of the 'old boys network'.

If the Sun wants to be taken seriously, then why aren't they infiltrating the Masonic Lodges that still exist and the white men that still 'check' you out with their strange secret handshakes.  They're recruiting in a town near you, but only if you play by their game.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I don't think any Media should be able to do that.  They are playing Judy and jury and that should never be allowed.  Who ever you,  or what crime you are accused of till you have had a fair trail and if you are found guilty then they can print name and photo.  I don't believe in trail by Media and don't want a country that thinks that's OK. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It's the law that permits this and so the papers obviously like to shift as many as possible so they take advantage of the law and engage in sensationalism.

But they can't make false allegations or unproven claims as they found out when Chris Jefferies successfully sued them for defamation and received a seven figure pay out along with a front page apology if I remember rightly.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

They would claim it's in the public interest, but I agree it's unfair if you are found not guilty.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.