Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?
? asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Do foods shrink when they are cooked?

Today I was concerned cause my dad wanted me to make cabbage soup and my chopped carrots covered around 1/3 of the pot and my chopped tomatoes took up 3/4 of a second pot and my potatoes took up 1/3 of a third pot but after cooking for a while I realized I had a ton of space left over so I added half a head of cabbage too. I believe my carrots and potatoes and tomatoes shrank during the cooking process and that is how it all managed to fit in the pot, and the cabbage also shrank too. 

Yeah veggies will shrink when you cook them.

• ?

Some food do shrink when cooked, mostly leafy vegetables.  Carrots and potatoes usually do not shrink during the cooking process, though