Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Am I selfish to move my family overseas?

All my life, I have been in love with the idea of living abroad. My husband now has the ability to do so, but I have one concern. Would it be selfish of me to move our children overseas, while our parents live here in the states?

• ?

I don't think so, if you two are able and willing go ahead. 

• d j

In any case scenario, you need to give up on one of the two options.

• i + i

Other than the first couple years, I 

spent my entire childhood overseas, 

not returning to the US until I was 14. 

I have absolutely no complaints. It 

instilled in me a wanderlust that my 

wife and I share and have continued 

to fulfill, traveling all over the world 

as much as we could (and will likely 

continue until we are physically or 

financially incapable of doing so). 

GO FOR IT!

I was thinking about the children, not the parents. It could be really traumatic for the kids to do that, depending on how old they are. 

I think that you will soon find that the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence. 

• SW-6

Ask yourself - how would you feel if you had grandchildren you loved and couldn't wait to be with almost daily, then their parents decide they want to pick up the family and take them all overseas?  There's your answer friend.  Not trying to be harsh, only trying to help you see this scenario from more than your perspective.  IMO - don't uproot those kids lives in an effort to fulfill yours.  When you have kids it is about them, not you.  Let them have their grandparents.  After all, if it was you as the grandparent, it would hurt bad to see them go, right?  Think of how your parents and your husband parents would feel.  Good luck to you :)

Do what you deem best for your husband and children. For YOUR life. You won't get another one later. This is it. It's not selfish to realize that.