Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

Why is my male best friend suddenly so distant ?

I have been friends for a few months with a young man who I consider one of my best friends. 

We talk about anything and everything, regularly. There has been flirty banter initiated by him lately, but I take it with a grain of salt as we aren’t progressing in a relationship sense nor is he asking me out, we’re friends. The other day (for the 2nd time) we had an argument. It was a huge one. 

Since then and for the past few days, he has been aloof and distant. He isn’t initiating conversations like he would and has been ignoring me from time to time although we had a few good nights were we would still talk for hours (after the argument). The last time we’ve talked he just said ‘I know we are a bit distance at the minute...but by next week let’s talk and see about getting this over and done with’. 

I’m not angry at him, but what could be going on?

• ?

Bet if you asked him he'd say, "I've been trying to date this person for months but she friendzoned me". It's never fair for people to pretend to want a platonic relationship when they're really just trying to get into your pants and it's lame af to halfway flirt and expect the other person to catch on. But I'd guess that's what's going on here. He has hostility toward you because you can't read his mind and won't profess your love for him. 

communicate !!! express your feelings and ask him if there's something wrong between you guys or with him that is making him distant and give him some time to fix the issue. however if you notice that the behavior continues and you are the only person putting effort, treat him with the same effort he treats you. I learned that the hard way: dont cling on to an old best friend if they dont want you anymore..