Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

If there were a straight road from the earth to the moon, how long would it take a nonstop motorcycle traveling 100 mph to reach the moon?

Estimate moon distance or average apogee and perigee.

Update:

(This year's farthest apogee comes on May 11, 2021 (252,595 miles), and the closest perigee occurs on December 4, 2021 (221,702 miles). That's a difference of roughly 30,000 miles. Meanwhile, the moon's mean distance (semi-major axis) from Earth is 238,855 miles).

Update 2:

Actually this is not my homework. It is just a fun question I calculated long ago. I like it because it gives a sense of how close the moon actually is to earth.

Update 3:

2388.55 hours = approximately 100 days, or 3 months and 10 days. That would be a long ride. But not so long relative to astronomical distances.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Bill-M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Speed / Distance / Time    =  there is a simple Formula

Time = Distance divided by Speed

Speed = Distance divided by Time

Distance = Time x Speed

So just Divided 238855 / 100 = 2388.55 hours

• 1 month ago

Do your own homework,Otto. You will NOT LEARN ANYTHING if you copy and paste someone else's answer.and violate their copyright and plagiarize. Your teacher or professor will be suspicious or know exactly what you are doing.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.