Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

How do paranormal sceptics explain mothman and how it predicted the fall of the Silver Bridge?

It's said to have predicted the Chernobyl  disaster too.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

I'm a paranormal believer and I don't buy into that mothman garbage.

Do you ever notice how prophecies of any kind only show up after whatever event or disaster happened?  When it happens like that every single time, it can't be random coincidence.

• 3 weeks ago

There are no sceptics on here, just denialists and they think "no" is good enough because they can't explain their reasoning without insulting themselves. They are people who are scared of the world around them

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

By flinging poo at it.💩

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

When you smoke lots of **** and read comics, you get weird ideas.  Try to do better.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Tom
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Look into the events of Chernobyl ----There  are reports of a strange "bird" some six feet tall and glowing, red eyes---seen in the area before the meltdown.----This description is very close to that of the "Mothman" and may be the VERY same thing----that has a penchant for being seen near places before some catastrophe strikes.  Russians likely never heard of the Mothman and described it in their OWN words.----So we have at least TWO cases--And I think there are a couple more.

• Jon
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

As far as I can see the 'mothman' was a creation of sensational journalism. Four teenagers claimed that an animal described to the sherif as "a bird as big as a man" had flown over their car in the dark. Fire service staff who attended the same location a few days later stated that they also observed a large bird. They were clear that the animal seen was distinctly a bird, although of an unfamiliar species. Ornithologists suggested that this was probably a sandhill crane, which has a seven foot wingspan and while unusual in that area (West Virginia, USA) were not unknown there as off-course migrant birds.

Local journalists coined the term 'Mothman' and two self-styled investigators, John Keel and Grey Barker, noted for writing sensational paperbacks about UFO's, etc, wrote a book making a series of unsubstantiated claims about a supposed cryptid or paranormal being.

See: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Mothman

• Mr. P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I've studied this briefly, and there is no correlation between bridge collapse and mothman directly. However there are other factors you are ignoring.

Mothman was seen around an area of disused warehouses that were under military security at the time. Generators were heard running showing that some military activity was still going on. Radio interference in the area would also point to clandestine operations going on.

Military developments at the time were testing infra red equipment - and developing a type of wearable helmet that used two infra red lights that emitted  a dull red glow. These developments are well publicised.

But what if they were also developing an early wing suit based on a hanglider? This would be more safely launched from a bridge with less risk of injury. 

This may explain why trainees often had to walk back carrying this equipment or landed in trees.

The base may also have had other equipment delivered at night, and if it was heavy (as most military equipment is) may have weakened the bridge causing the subsequent collapse.

If they were running generators, they may have wanted a mini nuk power reactor. These are smaller than you think - but stupidly heavy. Transporting one of those over a weak bridge would be pretty bad. 

Have a look to see if there was any military involvement after the collapse, and if so - why were they there?

• John
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

How did the Mothman predict the fall of Silver Bridge? Did Mothman give a press briefing predicting the disaster? Did he leave a message somewhere like some Batman villain?

No. All that happened is that the Mothman hysteria hit around the same time as the bridge disaster. That's not "predicting". That's called "random unrelated things happening around the same time".

• 1 month ago

Mothman is clearly not only really cryptid, but also has an advanced knowledge of engineering, or at least more advanced than the lads that built that bridge. 

I also have it on good authority that Mothman is the main spawner of all those rods and skyfish. 

• Dr. NG
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Speaking for myself, I don't try to explain Mothman. Some paranormal claims are so inherently silly, one would be foolish considering it, idiotic treating it seriously. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.