Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

is texting at a red light or bumper to bumper traffic illegal?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Generally, no.  It's legal unless there is a law in THAT JURISDICTION that says otherwise.   I defy you to show us any law that prohibits all texting by anyone at any time, let alone while in a vehicle that happens to be stopped in traffic.

Most such laws only refer to DRIVERS who are texting. You didn't say.  I'm unaware of any law that prohibits EVERYONE in the vehicle from texting while stopped in traffic or even while rolling. 

We have no idea where you are or what the law says.  For instance, texting while driving is not illegal in Montana or Missouri (Jan 21) unless you're under 21 in Missouri.

Oddly enough, with thousands of different legal jurisdictions in the world, not all laws are identical on this point.

Similarly, there are 24 US states where handheld cellphone use is not illegal.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Illegal.

ONLY voice to text is acceptable. No physical device, distraction, in hands.

• 1 month ago

Unless the vehicle is legally PARKED, the person behind the wheel is legally driving, even if the road is at a standstill. Anything you can't legally do while driving is still illegal at a red light.

I bet Bruce his pension that it is ILLEGAL where he is, and the vehicle being in motion IS NOT what the law actually says.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It's illegal in NY.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

That would depend on the law where you are, but in Georgia it is illegal.

• 1 month ago

Yes.  Legally having the engine running (or even just the keys in the ignition if applicable) and texting is illegal.  The same applies to drinking and driving.

• 1 month ago

Generally yes.  You can't use a handheld while driving, at all.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

In the UK you can't use a mobile while driving. I think I remember someone being prosecuted for eating an apple.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

That is determined by state law. In my state, it is illegal while the vehicle is in motion. Texting at a red light would be legal. Now if the light turns green and you don't notice because you are texting, that would be inattentive driving or obstructing traffic.  

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

If your car is on/operational and you are in the driver seat, yes, you are texting while operating a vehicle. The loophole for some modern cars is they temporarily turn off when prolonged idling. If you have this kind of vehicle your defense is that the car turned off and therefore you are texting in a vehicle that isn't running.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.