Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?
? asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

what is your fave dinner to cook?

Fried Rice !!! LOL

• JOHN B

That's flied lice.

• blank

Nachos                                                               

• ?

I've a lot to choose from,  I mainly like ones that cook away in the oven on their own once I've done all the prep.

Shrimp scampi with garlic bread

• John

My land locked niece is coming to our San Francisco (actually Oakland) home for dinner next Tuesday. Two fresh Dungeness crabs with great Chinese noodles and potstickers for sides. Her Chinese food options are limited, too.

Crack the crabs, sit down, eat and she's bringing the wine.

It's crab season here.

• ?

A good steak, medium rare, mashed or baked potato, aspargus, simmered or steamed o al dente and sauteed mushrooms with red wine and tarragon.

Another fav is Jamie Olivers roasted chicken with milk, cinnamon and sage with mashed potatoes and a side of spinach.  Both the potatoes and the spinach are to absorb the lovely sauce.  you can find this recipe on line.  I have many many roast chicken recipes but when I started making this it was the only roasted chicken I made for over three years.  I even have a whole process around it.  

It takes a bit longer than regular roast chicken because you brown it first.  Don't skimp on the browning, the 'fond', brown glaze that builds up on the pan, is part of your flavor base for the sauce.  I use Kerrygold butter for the browning and brown all six sides for 8 minutes each.  (I prep and clean up while this is happening, I use a timer).  I keep a lively sizzle going but watch and adjust the heat to be sure there is no smoking or popping. On both gas and electric stoves on a regular burner I have found this to be at dead medium but your stove may vary.    I want a nice, light to medium caramel colored fond and for the chicken to be well browned.

The recipe says to discard the fat after browning.  If I've done a good job of keeping a light to medium caramel colored fond I save that fat in the fridge, it's basically Kerrygold and rendered chicken fat.  You can use this as a cooking fat for other meals and it imparts a DIVINE flavor, I love to cook eggs in it and it makes for the best roasted potatoes ever.

The recipe I have doesn't say if the pot should be covered or not once it goes into the oven, I have experimented with uncovered, partly covered and covered and I now always cover the pot.  Once the chicken is cooked and served or cooled (sometimes I'm cooking it for future meals) I remove all the meat from the carcass and put the carcass, the solid remnants of the sauce and extra chicken stock in the pot and make a lovely soup from all the leavings.  After it has simmered, barelly bubbling, over a very low heat for 2-3 hours I strain it and it's soup - needs no other seasonings.  This freezes beautifully (I leave the fat cap on to keep it's freshness and skim it before I heat and serve it).  You can use this as a tasty broth or add veges to simmer and then cooked chicken to make a heartier soup.

This is more of a weekend meal because of the long cooking process but it has NEVER failed to impress.  I usually do two chickens in separate pots for lots of leftovers for all that time spent.

• kswck2

Anything where I get an empty plate returned to me. 

Either home made meatloaf or Hillshire Farms sausages, mash potato, gravy, carrots and Brussel sprouts.

Curried chicken, I don't make it often, that's why I enjoy it when I do. I always have it with rice and poppadoms. I include lots of diced veggies in the dish. 

• ?

Stir fry

Leek and bacon chicken pasta

Anthing in a slow cooker 

Roast