Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Why do some people think it's sexist to expect females to act like ladies?

Isn't being a lady just the female equivalent of a male being a gentleman?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • L
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

'Some people' are DIM WITS!  Most females need to behave like a female and males need to behave like males.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It would be equally "sexist" to expect a man to act "like a gentleman". These old customs have just fallen out of favor for both genders. 

• 1 month ago

Context is necessary. Are we speaking of a social context in which ladies precede gentleman into the dining room? Or in a business context in which gender neutrality should prevail? 

• 1 month ago

Because the rules for what is ladylike are much, much more strict and unfair than the rules for what is gentlemanlike.  And if a woman breaks one of those rules, she is called a slut or some other insulting name, whereas if a man breaks one of his rules, no one seems to care.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Being a lady OR a gentleman means simply being aware and thoughtful of others, and never to make someone else uncomfortable if you can possibly avoid it.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I would think that what is meant is to act like a mature adult. If we are talking about someone who is trans - maybe I can see the point for some righteous disagreement if the person saying this is ignoring their pronoun preferences. But other than that, it is a reasonable expectation to expect certain standards of behavior from people. 

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

To my mind, yes. But other people may mean different things by "lady", and some people's concept of it is certainly sexist. (If you've read "Gone With the Wind", you'll recall that Scarlett's second husband didn't like it that she was good at math.)

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

cause they dont want to act like ladies

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Because it implies more than just displaying good manners.  For example its ok for a gentleman to sit with his legs spread, but not for a lady.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I think it's just that you shouldn't really expect anyone at all to 'act' in an arbitrarily defined way.  What is a 'lady'?  What is a 'gentleman'?  I'm sure that everyone has a different idea of what those words mean.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.