Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Dining OutFast Food · 1 month ago

Is this unethical food ordering and will my account be canceled?

I keep getting great food discount offers (50% off or more) from apps like Uber Eats, Grubhub, etc. The problem is they have to be delivered (no pickup) and I live in a non-delivery area. So when I place orders I just randomly choose an address that's close to the restaurant and wait in my car for the delivery driver.

So is this unethical?

ffffffffffffffffffffff

Hey, whatever works!

This is as ethical as GH or UE hijacking a restaurant's menu and pretending they don't take pickup orders.  A lot of places don't want to pay the excessive service fees they charge.  GH will post a menu anyways, take orders, call them in, pick them up, deliver them and add 19% to the tab on top of an excessive delivery fee.  I've found they've done this for some of my favorite local places as well as the place I work that was closed for several months.  It's not obvious until you get to the payment page.

Next time, call the restaurant directly and ask if they take pick up orders because GH says they don't.  That 50% discount is a scam.

I don't think it is unethical and if the driver doesn't have a problem and you are always paying for and getting your food then all is good. Just keep in mind that if you aren't getting 50% off, then the prices might be cheaper at the restaurant. Those services raise prices over what the restaurant charges and also pay the restaurants less. So if this is a local restaurant, you might want to see if you are really saving that much money by using these apps.

Domino's actually has a feature called "hot spot" which are designated places like a park or the beach or something, so you don't need to have food delivered to an address. 

No, that isn't unethical if you wear a mask when meeting the driver.

• kswck2

No, but if you are going close To the restaurant, just pick it up there. 

Not really.

You are going to one of their deliverable locations and meeting the delivery person. 

The only bit which is questionable is giving a false address as that’s potentially dishonest. Most food delivery services will deliver to parked vehicles; I’ve done it myself plenty of times when I’m on a shift-break in a location where there’s no obvious food outlets. If necessary I give the nearest address and make clear in the delivery notes that I’m in my bus outside. If the address box allows it I also make it clear such as “32 Blags Road (RED BUS OUTSIDE)”.

As long as you consistently meet your delivery partner and cause no problems then “no harm, no foul”.