Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 month ago

i don't think i will be able to retire from my job until i am 70. is this unfortunate?

i am 45 years old now, and my dream was to retire at 60, but due to my financial situation, it doesn't look like that will happen 

People don't need as much to survive comfortably as the main stream would have them believe.

If you can't stick to your goals, change them. Don't be afraid to pull up roots and relocate.

I retired at 62 with little savings, but liquidated everything I had on the west coast of the USA and moved.

I don't want to live the rest of my life as a slave to system.

But to each his own I always say. Its not unfortunate, but with too much baggage it'll cost more. Downsize wisely is my best advice. 

It depends on what you want.  Where I live, many seniors love to work, and some keep at it until their 80's.  Others like to retire young, even at 55.  Or, even younger for some jobs (e.g.,the military). 

• ?

This is virtual slavery. In addition to not paying workers enough to save for a vacation, our system has failed to support older people. Forcing people to work until they are infirm or die at their workplace is slavery of the worst kind. It isn't unfortunate, it's criminal. The 1% needs to pay.

• Robert

I suppose that depends upon whether you like, hate or just tolerate your job

Be lucky you have a job. By 2040 there will be practically no jobs.