Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is there an opposite to catalysts?

I was doing some chemistry revision and realised that we always talk about making reactions quicker by using catalysts and creating a shorter reaction pathway to lower activation energy etc, and then I realised we never really talk about an opposite to this? Like is there a substance/ type of substance that raises activation energy for reactions that happen too fast?  I’m just curious haha

Google "inhibitor" or "Chemical inhibitor".  Often, just reducing the concentration of the reactants will retard the reaction (just add water :))