Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?
? asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Is present participle acting as an adverb in the following sentence ?

He spent his entire life helping the poor. 

I don't think that's a present participle, actually.

"Helping the poor" is a gerund phrase. The website Grammarly agrees with me, using this example, a very similar structure:

"My doctor suggests running to improve my health." The gerund phrase is "running to improve my health," and it's the object of the verb "suggests."

The have another example, "Tim enjoys running with scissors." Scroll down to Gerunds Used as Objects.

Wrong forum. You should either ask in the WORDS and WORDPLAY  forum in the EDUCATION  category, or better yet, start using a MANUAL OF STYLE or a guide to English usage and grammar. All competent writers refer to both. But, so you don't go away all mad, it's an adverb because it is qualifying "spent".