Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

What is an acceptable time to call someones cell phone in the mornings?

Maybe it’s just my generation but my friends seem to have no concept of what is an appropriate time to call people in the morning. My one friend is a nurse and calls me randomly at 5AM while she’s getting ready for work, I have another friend who called me this morning at 5:45AM and another (who’s getting divorced) and going through a rough time who calls me whenever with no regard to the time of day. She calls me any/all hours of the day/night. If I’m busy I generally don’t answer and keep my phone on silent but still it’s kind of just a respect thing? Also, most adults work and a lot of my friends who are unemployed due to the pandemic tend to call me while I’m at work. What is proper cell phone etiquette? Maybe there is none? I text if I need something and know my friends are at work. If it’s after 5PM till around 9PM I’ll call if I need something. 

• L

Proper cell/phone etiquette................no calls before 9 a.m. and no calls after 8 p.m.

However, if it's an emergency - then these can be 24/7.

• East

I wouldn't call someone except between 9am and 9pm.

• Mark

My friend calls me from 8:30 am to 9:00p. If I see his name on my phone. Sometimes I will not answer it. I know he will call me later in the day or next. He ask what I was doing. I tell him I was doing errands or I was at my mother's When I'm gone he call me and not leave a messge.  I have call Id so I know who called.  When I get tired of talking to him. I tell him I'm going to get something to eat. Or I'll tell him I'm kinda tired (nights) I normally stay up to watch TV.

That is what your voice mail is for. You have to control the phone, not the other way around. Generally unless you know they are up i think between 8am and 9pm is acceptable. Other than that they should email or text. 

Tell your friends not to call you at certain times. And if they still do then don’t pick up and let it go to voice mail. Only return the call when it is good for you. 

The top sails rep in a company i used to work for was not a slave to his phone. He would let the calls go to voice mail. In the voice mail he’d leave a message about what time of day he returns calls. That gave him control over the phone not the other way around. 

The lovely thing about cell phones is that they are for our convenience, NOT the convenience of others. Hence, the silent mode and the lovely Voice Mail option, and... text messages.

Just because our phones may be holding a voice mail or text message does not mean we must tend to it right away. Sure, we can ignore it until we are ready to reply or hear/read it and respond at a later time. That's our prerogative.

My phone never even makes it's way into my bedroom because I do not want to be disturbed by my phone ringing, vibrating, dinging with notifications or making any sounds whatsoever.When people make calls at 5AM or what I call O 'dark thirty, I don't think they are aware of the time ...otherwise they would not call at all!I think an acceptable time to call me is from 8am to 9pm, excluding lunch and dinner meal time. Not everyone can remember all of their friends and family's work schedule. And, forthem, thatis what the "silent, voice mail and text" options are for. I won't call anyone before 9 Am

My sister wakens early ... she works at a bakery. It took her a while to get the hit that I do not answer my phone before 8am. Some people you have to train, for all others, leave a message and I'll get back to you at my convenience.

• susan

9:00 or later is the correct answer. That's good manners. If you know the person really well, and are reasonably sure that they get up every day well before 7:00, then it's probably okay to call between 8:00 and 9:00.

Unless I know for sure that the person I am calling is awake and ready to take phone calls, and unless it's some kind of emergency, I would never call anyone before 9 am. Or after 9 pm. I would never call someone while they're at work unless there is something that person needs to know before they get off work. If I had friends who call me when I am quite likely to be asleep, I think I would tell them that they are wasting their time doing it. And I'd make sure the phone couldn't wake me up.

In my opinion it depends on the friend and how close our friendship is.  If I know my friend works from 8:30 to 5:30 I know they will be awake after 7 am, I will call after 7.  But the person I don't know well enough I wouldn't dream of calling any earlier than 9 am (8:30 at the earlies).

If your friends are not abiding by your wishes, you need to make a better effort to create boundaries you expect of them to adhere.

• ?

You don't have to answer it. Someone once said the telephone is the rudest device because it screams answer me now, answer me now! I usually have my device on silent so don't always see when someone has called or messaged. Sometimes I do, and still don't reply. I have a friend who may message me close to midnight when I'm tired and thinking about going to bed. Sometimes I leave my reply until the morning. If you start ignoring these calls they might get the message.

• Sandy

I am an early riser, but a "random" call at 5 am would not be appreciated by me.

Unless I know for certain someone is already up, I wouldn't call before 9 am