Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

Why don't people understand why ghosts can walk through walls, but not fall into the ground?

Ghosts can go through walls because in their time there was most likely a doorway there or a completely different building and if they are going through the wall it could most likely be a residual haunting.

To explain the "Ghost go through walls thing", it is believed ghosts travel the paths they traveled when they were alive, so going through walls is traversing the paths, even if they are blocked in present day, that they walked when they were alive, like a wall not being there when they were alive, but being built after they passed, atleast thats the rational thing behind it.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

So that guy selling ghost proof fences was conning everyone?

You just can't trust people these days!👻

• Dubbs
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Yes, what you describe is mainly the way I look at ghosts. Much like the theatre in France where witnesses have reported seeing the ghost of a priest walking on air. This only makes sense when you realized the theatre used to be rectory and the 2nd floor was removed to make room for the auditorium. However,  there are many other paranormal phenomena that causes what appears to be ghosts. Much like Tom's explanation with the time or dimensional rift.

Yes, many ghosts that people have purported to see are disembodied spirits or echoes from past lives (the common ones that walk through walls); but it can also be due to time slips, demons, tulpas, etc.

• Mr. P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If they are a residual haunting then they will just do the same event over and over again, whether there is anything new there or not. 

But if this is a spirit then it can pretty well do what it likes - enter new buildings, move through floors vertically, sit in moving vehicles even. 

Poltergeists are very capable of interacting with modern equipment that was not around in their time so there is overlap with an active spirit, but a few differences too.

I have experienced all of the above, and the only distinctions I can draw is that residual hauntings do not see me or interact with me. They can only be observed. Active spirits and poltergeists do see me and do interact, and are not contained within limits of time or space.

• Who
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

So what happens to a ghost that tries walking through a wall where there has NEVER been a doorway

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

That is the rub.  In my case no house was ever here so no ghosts.

• Tom
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Ghosts are most likely LIVING PEOPLE in another time we are seeing via some momentary Space-time disturbance that overlaps our time with theirs in a specific location.  Einstein predicted this could happen---and apparently it DOES.  People over the millennia have just misinterpreted it as a "Spirit of the dead".  The actual thing likely causing this is called an" Einstein-Rosen Bridge".(EBR)  ------Indeed it explains things a lot better than the superstitious "Spirit theory"---Why "ghosts" have clothing and also "Inanimate ghosts" like cars, and objects like guns, etc.----As we are simply looking at real things in another TIME.-----And we don't have to invent "spirit beings" either, as living people in the other Time frame will do just as well.

• 1 month ago

I doubt most people really care enough to understand anything about ghost behaviour. 

Edit. Congratulations to the new number 1 Best Answerer on our UK Alternative Leaderboard.

• 1 month ago

Your logic seems quite correct compared to everything I have learned. A retired policeman bought a pub in England and down in the cellar, he witnessed an army of Roman soldiers come from one wall and disappear into the opposite wall. He could only see them down to the knees. The rest was underground walking on a level that exists in their time, not ours. A friend always told us how he would be woken up by the little boy with no legs who ran along the upstairs passage during the night. We had a hard time wondering how that could happen but he was too young to explain. Years later, a new owner reported the same thing and the BBC carried out an investigation. They found that a barn stood on the exact spot in I think early 17th century. An orphan boy was allowed to sleep upstairs in the barn in return for working for the farmer. but one day it caught fire and the boy died. The barn was said to be short by about a foot or so to the new floor and that explains the boy with no legs. He ran trying to escape the fire. The boy had legs but they were not visible on the house floor. Any ghost is walking on its own floor and can fall through it as easy as we can, or if you like, they can't. As you say, they are walking through the house where there are no walls in their time but possibly doorways.

• Jim
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

That's why Casper was more accurate!

• John
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Interesting. Let's continue with this. Although such a ghost does not physically interact with these walls and floors (it can walk through the walls, as you say), it is somehow linked to them. Otherwise, it would drift off into space -- why would we expect an immaterial ghost to remain locked in place with respect to the house as the Earth rotates, revolves around the Sun and travels through the universe?  So how can this ghost interact with the house and yet not interact with it at the same time?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.