Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 2 months ago

Why can't we simply add 72 protons to oxygen and become rich? How hard can it be?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • D g
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You have to add ñeutrons too and pushing them together until they bind takes alot of energy 

• 1 month ago

If you add 72 protons to an atom of oxygen , then you are forming a new element 

16 + 72 = 88 which is Radium  ( Radio Active) . 

To do this is very hard!!!! You need untold amounts of energy, as you dealing with nuclear physics. 

• 1 month ago

You want to be an alchemist? It's already been tried, and isn't that easy.

"On January 13, 1404, King Henry IV of England signed a law making it a felony to create gold and silver out of thin air."Wow, Andre sure is easy to trigger. 

• 1 month ago

I'm working my way up to 72.  So far I'm only halfway there.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Gabe
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

How much time do you have?! We WANT to do approximately that with radioactive waste!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month ago

Have you ever visited one of the accelerators in the US? Assuming it is possible to do what you are proposing, it would be humongously expensive to obtain even a microscopic amount of the material.  

• 1 month ago

There has to be some neutrons in any nucleus (except simple hydrogen), with a relationship between number of protons and neutrons.  A nucleus of 80 protons (mercury) needs around 100 or more neutrons to be stable.  Actually, mercury has several stable isotopes.  But I would not expect to get rich from a rather poisonous element.

• 1 month ago

At the current rate we're polluting our environment, pure oxygen will soon be the most valuable element on Earth.

• 1 month ago

That's what happens inside massive stars; they start out fusing hydrogen into helium, but, finally - when they die, they create gold, platinum and silver... 

So... all you'd really need to to is bring a really massive star to Earth, and wait for it to die. 

• 2 months ago

Because the energy and equipment required to produce gold from oxygen, which by the way is a very strange choice, would be more expensive than the value of the gold resulting from it.  And it wouldn't just be protons.  Removing an alpha particle from the relatively abundant lead, then a further proton, would be a much more cost-effective way to do it, but still not worth it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.