Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Is it rude if I don't call my co-workers by their name?

Everyone knows my name and they always say, "Hi, (my name)" but I just say hi and don't say their name. When they talk to me or ask me something, they include my name in the sentence. I know all of their names but I don't ever say their name. Would it be rude if I don't call them by their name?

• ?

No, don't think so. You will use their name when you need them won't you anyway?

Not really.  Especially if you come up with amusing nicknames for them.  Try calling your coworkers names such as, Fatty, Stench, Zits, and Tard.  Ask them to call you Einstein.

Only you know why you do not use your co-workers' names when speaking with them.  There is no right or wrong here, simply your choice.

i dont think so

It would be rude only if you say" Hey you " if you want their attention. 

• ?

In a way it's a little rude.  By using their name when you address them you are acknowledging them as human beings.  By not saying their names you are non verbally telling them that they are lesser beings and not worthy of your noticing them

Not necessarily.  It is proper to use their names when initially addressing someone, but not required in response.

If you don't use their names, then they already know you have some kind of difficulty with normal social behaviour. They might not think you're rude but they certainly think you're odd. Don't be surprised if they're not specially friendly to you.

Not rude. Just odd.

• ?

No, not really. But don't be surprised if they forget your name.