Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?
Lv 7
? asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

Over four years later: What do you think was the biggest reason that Donald Trump won the presidency in 2016?

Now Trump is out of office, what do you think is the top single reason that he won enough votes in enough places to win the 2016 presidential election?

177 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

There was really no biggest reason. It was a combination of America's depraved lust for celebrity culture worship, a general hatred of politicians and acknowledgement that "Trump doesn't talk like a politician", unending media coverage on Trump's misdeeds giving Trump a constant spotlight, and finally Democrats nominating Hillary Clinton who is widely disliked by most people outside the party as well as some in the party.

• Ann
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

We didn't want the same old thing. We got a great economy. A guy who delivered on his promises. A guy that made the world pay their fair share and wouldn't mess with us. Now we got more of Obama, who's policies led to Trump getting elected. 

@Duck: Yes, some people are and we're already experiencing their idiocy in voting for Biden. Higher gas prices, thousands out of work, a "stimulus" package that's full of pork projects for Democrats.

• Duck
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Some people are ******* idiots.

• John
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Two particular reasons that lots of writers like. It has been said that the divide in America is between the happy and the unhappy. I think that's pretty accurate. And coming from a writer from unhappy country - they truly HATE who they like to call "liberals". Nobody has any idea what a liberals is, it's basically "the other people".

Throw in the largest propaganda campaign in American history and you get a con man for president. And yes, millions of ignorant white folk voting for a failed TV star because he's a TV star.

I have voted GOP at times but I lean left. I don't like Hillary much either but I'd never vote for the crime boss.

? put a criminal at the head of America so he could have cheep gas. Welcome to the short sighted alt-right.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Mark J
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

lots of reasons, but the main one he wasn't Clinton.

He played the classic "Im not from Washington", regularly the electorate warms to an outsider who isn't part of Washington. Unlike Carter who was a politician in Georgia, as Obama was in in Illinois. Trump presenbted himself as a person with NO politicial baggage.

The Democrats in their arrogance and complacancy believed they just had to turn up and the vote was theirs. Clinton didn't campaign in many central belt states confident those states would alwasy vote Democrat. Much like the UK left there was a belief that tthe working class vote was secured for the Democrats, and like the UK LAbour party the Democrats were being run by the middle class forgetting and ignoring the ordinary working person

Trump crafted a message to the ordinary working joe, ironic givern he is a multi millionaire/billonaire that he should be ablke to craft such a messasge. But he did, and arguably he deliuered on thise proimises.

Did I mention he was running against Clinton.

He and his campaign worked hard for the votes, went to any and every rally in every state he could.

I suspect there was fatigue in the Democrat party machine.I don't think the Democrat party, and their fellow travellers in the media ever took Trunp seriously until way too late. The smug smiles on the weekend talk shows whenever they compared Trump to their homie Hilary made it obvious that power and money wanted Clinton

I think there was a kick back against the obviously false narrative of the Russian dossier... Trump supposedly gettign invovled in 'watersports' in a Russiuan hotel. and other outlandish claims from the Steele dossier. Such outlandish and unfounded claims undermined some of the genuine skeltons in his closetThere was a sneerign contempt in the media and Democrats about Trump, something I suspect the electorate picked up on and decided to ignore or decided it was a reason to vote FOR trump. Fo all his embellishments, his over acting he was at least opening his soul to the electorate, warts and all. Clinton was pportraying the smooth politicial operator that she bel;ieves she is.

• N
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

It was a set up intentionally to get Biden in there

• Caesar
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Trump NEVER lied to American voters some answers say... In 2016, President Donald Trump promised at his campaign rallies that Mexico would pay for the giant wall he planned to build on its border.... no giant wall finished... and Mexico hasn't contributed any money toward the construction of the border wall. The wall is being funded by the US government. The hate of Hilary was built... Republicans say they formed the House Select Committee on Benghazi to investigate the attack which has cost taxpayers about $4.5 million during its 17 months of existence, was primarily a political stunt. House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif) let it slip that the committee aimed to sink Clinton’s poll numbers. ...but some people believe some lies easier and vote for the con, the movie Idiocracy can explain more but who cares all was Hillary emails fault  all the 7 investigations just end up with nothing just with the emails... obviously

• 1 month ago

The main reason was that white people of lower socioeconomic classes feared change:

1.  Working class people and hicks believed they were marginalized.and ignored

2.  They did not like having a black president.

3.  They did not like unskilled illegal immigrants being allowed to take residence here, and they didn't like the media fawning over the immigrants

4.  They disliked the obsession some liberals have with homosexuals and other sexually non-conventional people

5.  They did not like bussing, affirmative action, "diversity," etc.

6.  They disliked "political correctness" and the silliness of some people who were promoting some of it.

7.  They didn't like the decline of religious fundamentalism.

8.  They felt threatened by the decline of jobs in the unskilled/semi-skilled labor market.

9.  They feared science because they did not understand it.

10.  They thought the govt spent too much money on welfare and other big do-gooder programs.

• bluto
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

1.the electoral college is unbalanced.

2. Trump and Hillary were at the time two of the most polarizing and hated people in the country. They hated hillary less but see #1.

Neither one would have made a good president. Trump proved he didn’t though.

• ALBERT
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Because a bit over 4 years ago the elections where not rigged like they were recently!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.