Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

English Grammar. help me!!?

When you say 

“Get me an apple to eat right now!” forced the elephant.  in the book, does it mean the elephant forced someone or the elephant is forced to get an apple? 

- edit Thank y'all! 

• Alan

See image. Yahoo hide the answer. 

That is not English. No native speaker with any education at all would use "forced" to mean "said" or "insisted".

That's an incorrect use of the verb "to force."  It makes no sense.

• ?

That means that the elephant is forcefully telling some other creature to get an Apple for him

The elephant is using his statement to force someone else to get him an apple.  

I have never in my life seen the word 'forced' used in place of 'said'.  

The elephant is forcing someone to get it an apple.