Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Is it rude to ask someone how much money they have?

A relative of mine periodically asks how much money I have in savings. I usually counter with 'Not enough!' or 'How much do you have?' 

I am financially comfortable, though I have also invested the last two years in working on an MA degree, which is costly, and I contribute large sums each year to RRSPs. So I am fortunate enough than I can easily pay my bills while also investing in my education and planning for retirement. 

Still, and I know this is stupid, but part of me feels guilty when I dodge the question. On the other hand, this person has asked to look through my savings account in the past, which seems like a gross invasion of my privacy. 

Is it weird to ask someone how much money they have? Or am I overthinking this? 

• East

It's basic sense not to ask how much money someone has.  You're 100% right.

• Mark

I do not discuss finances with one friend. example, How much my house payments are. He a very nosy person. A long time ago. I went to stay the night. Then went to a family reunion, I returned later in the day. He asked me about how I like this certain cologne.  I asked how did you know about it. He said he looked in my bag while I  was away. He can be a real jerk at times. That is why I do not visit him.

Many people prefer not to discuss their finances with others, including family members.  Money is often seen as a no go zone during a conversation, so if you truly do not wish to answer your relative, simply tell them your financial situation is none of their business.  If the relative keeps asking, disengage with the conversation or change the topic.  You are not obliged to answer.

This nosy person is WAY out of line to ask about or to look at your financials.  It is NONE of their business.

DO NOT feel guilty about not giving out your personal and PRIVATE information. Continue to provide evasive answers. When asked about money, whether it is how much I have or spent on a purchase, my answer is the same.." Oh, some where between $39.99 and $299,000.00, give or take $13.99". THAT answer is MY answer to ALL financial questions, always.

i think it is, just tell them its personal

It is rude to ask somebody how much money they have.  If somebody does ask you a rude question, try to be polite by evading the question.  You handled it well in my opinion.  

In most cases it is horribly rude.  But there are exceptions like if the person is worried about your financial stability, especially into your future.  For example from a parental figure worried you are under-utilizing tools that could maximize your savings.  But in any case you need not feel guilty for not answering with specifics.

• drip

It is bizarre and disturbing that someone would ask to see your saving account.  There are few people who see that, your partner, your bank, your financial adviser and your tax account 

I would not answer Do you have a savings account?   Certainly don’t tell them how much your have or see your account. 

Yes this rude and out of bounds socially. 

Your response is perfect. 

Very much so. It also contravenes the It's None Of Your Business Act of 1956.

It is rude and you should suspect ulterior motives in such questions. You do not have to show your bank accounts to anyone without a warrant. Just say "I have enough to pay my bills and I am not going to discuss my finances further than that with you." If they persist, you are entitled to be rude in return. "Mind your own f***ing business!" should suffice.