Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

wolf asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

What are the chances that someone in Active Duty Army NOT in the Infantry would see combat?

I really want to enlist but my parents are terrified to let me go and my mom won't listen to any information I give her, I need reliable facts and google won't answer my question directly. 

What are the statistics that someone with the MOS 15F would see combat/get deployed?

• Cee

Join when you're old enough to cut Mommy's apron string loose.

• Bill-M

Army MOS 15F - Aircraft Electrician. The only time you would see Combat if the base you attached to is under attack.

Now is you want to be an Aircraft Electrician and NOT be subject to combat then Join the Navy.  The Last time an American Aircraft Carrier was attacked was in World War Two.

they do not deploy baszed on MOS, they deploy units

and units have most all mos's assigned to them

MOS 15F being deployed -- excellent

MOS 15F deployed to a hostile fire area -- good

MOS 15F experiencing direct combat --  unlikely, being on a site which is attacked -- possible

• Mrsjvb

100% chance of deployment.

50/50 combat seeks you out.  You will either come under fire, or you won’t.  No MOS is safe from hostile enemy action.  

At 18, your parents no longer have any say in the matter.  They can choose to support you, or not. If they don’t, then you need to decide to live your life according to YOUR plans, or theirs.  

Deploy yes, you will most likely deploy at least once while in. It all depends on the unit you are assigned to. But deployments can be anywhere so there is a chance you will not see combat at all. One friend deployed to South Korea for 6 months.

Look at how many personnel are deployed to hostile areas and how many injuries/deaths there are.  It is actually a lot less than people realize especially now. If it was 10-15 years ago then it would have been higher. 

You are always susceptible to an emergency where you are needed. That is why all recruits go through basic weapons training. If you want to avoid combat, join the Air Force and select a non-critical career choice.

• Daniel

There is a difference between being deployed and seeing combat.  The chances of being deployed are pretty good. 

Seeing combat can be defined in many different ways.  The most likely way someone is going to get killed or injured is in a rocket attack or roadside bomb.  I was on bases with thousands of people that got rocketed pretty regularly, and only a few people were killed in those attacks.  

Do your research and you will discover that virtually every branch of the military see combat, including the air force, soldiers, navy SEALS and countless others.

• ?

We have air force all over the world, some bases/stations in problem areas. That risk comes with the job but your specific job. Has lower risks associated with it in the terms of what you are talking about.

There used to be life expectancy charts, list out there. They broke it down by MOS and were one was stationed. Of course, this was decades ago, I have no idea if they still exist or not.