Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Are there any jobs that require both management and programming skills?

I'm currently taking management major and I have an interest on learning kind of web developing. I'm thinking to work at job that does more in the management side than coding. Any suggestion will be appreciated, Thanks

Frankly, the manager's I've had at very high end....were contractors.  They make $150 an hour, and they come in and fix ****. and move on in 6 months or less.

Lead / senior programmers (of which I am) and especially Chief Technology Officer and very importantly Chief Development Officer would require those skills in any company, ideally.

That's not always the case, unfortunately.

It seems to be the case too often in software development companies that project managers and executives are more management than development.  I.e. the managers have ZERO or next to zero experience in development.

As a career professional software and web developer, from what you asked, you appear to be on the right career track to be anything from a very poor to very good manager for software/web developers.

I've been a professional programmer for 22 years.  The worst managers I've had were both experienced developers and people with no development experience at all.

Just like a good developer can listen to and understand the needs of their client/employer and deliver, a good manager can listen to and understand both their employees and employer and deliver.

Whatever you do, be prepared to learn as you go.

Yes.  The job of managing programmers.  Or managing a company that does programming.

You would want to know programming so you understand what your people/company is doing.  And then can better manage them.

Also many programming companies need people who are project managers.  Usually they will work with the customer to determine what the company needs to do for them.  They have to understanding coding so that they can know if it can done, how, and the best way.  But they do not do the actual coding.  Rather they coordinate the coding and other development steps.

First, get a job in programming. Then, after proving yourself, make it known that you are interested in management and seek a position as team leader or project leader. From there, you can migrate to management. That's how I did it.

• EddieJ

My managers were originally programmers who got promoted.  I never aspired to be a manager.  I can't figure out what they do all day.