Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Do you own a hard copy of George Orwell's 1984?

Seems like a cult classic every male would own. 

What do You mean by "every Male would own a copy of this book" ?

• Rita

"1984" remains under copyright in the US. Many of these copies omit large passages, are printed with the wrong title, or are filled with content from Wikipedia, The New York Times reported. The revelation that counterfeiters are altering the novel's meaning would sound all-too-familiar to Orwell.

• As always, Andrew speaks with great insight and authority.

I've read 1984, but don't own a hardback edition,

I don't think that really matters. What does matter is Orwell's insight into human nature.

For example, that short quatrain: 

'Under the spreading chestnut tree,

I sold you, you sold me.

There lie they and here lie we,

Under the spreading chestnut tree'.

Many might consider that a trivial little verse. However, in context - Orwell's context - and considering human nature's weaknesses, it's a devastating little verse.

Never mind the first and fourth lines, the second and third say so much about so many of us, unfortunately.

(In Germany, many of us consider 'Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung', by Schopenhaeur, a masterpiece, whether in hardback or paperback; but it doesn't mean we all understand it. Schopenhauer is Very Hard Work)

Every person *should* own a copy, and remember that it's a warning, not an instruction manual.

• JOHN B

I didn't really care for the flick so I figured the book would be even more tedious. I got the gist of it, though.

• Ya-Hoo

This book is a downer

You ought to familiarize yourself with the meanings of the words and expressions you wish to use before you attempt to use them. "1984" is not a 'cult classic.' It's an extremely famous, very widely read, top selling book that has been on the stacks in bookshops for over 70 years, has been standard reading for students in the English-speaking world for over a generation, and is so well-embedded in our culture that it's often used as a reference point for the way things are going in the world we're living in. Even people who have never read the book have heard of Big Brother. You might as well claim that "The Call of the Wild" is a cult classic. Most of the males I know owned a copy at some point in their life. And I don't see why a male would be more inclined to read or own a copy of "1984" than a female would. Yes, I own a copy. No, it isn't a hardback. 

A fairly routine dystopia.  Better and more frightening ones have been published.

No cult classic.

Full on classic.

Everybody should read it, not just men.

It is indeed a classic, but not a "cult" classic.

Women read too, you know, and have political views just as men do. And I'm not sure why a hardback copy of any book is necessarily better than a paperback. My own copy of "1984" is paperback, and I've had it for about 40 years.