Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What is the best way to ask your job for a raise if you have other offers? ?

I have been with my company 2 years now. I didn't get a raise the 1st year. I got a $2 raise last year but with that raise I also had to start commuting to Austin everyday which is 30 miles from my home and easily turns into an hour trip one way with traffic. 

I just graduated with my degree in December and I have bent over backwards for this company. I was recently offered a position at another firm for $3 more. 

I like working with my current employer but I would also like to be paid what I'm worth. 

My issue is I have not met my boss yet as he just started about a month ago. So the only thing he has to go off of is my amazing reviews from our clients. 

So how should I go about asking for a raise? What is the best way to ask? Is there anything I should avoid saying? 

The entire time I have been with this company I have had gone through 3 different bosses. Yes timing is not ideal at all but what can I do? Nada haha. 

I am an amazing employee, go above and beyond and I know my worth. It's security so either job isn't gonna be the best. 

I am trying to ask exactly what I should say and how I should approach this. I am just wanting to know what I should say WITHOUT sounding like "They are offering me more, pay me more or I walk"

You first need to identify your goals.  Your question doesn't clearly define them.  Yes you want to be paid more, but would you consider a smaller raise if you could work closer to home?  And if so, how much smaller.  Would you be willing to relocate? Or are you looking for a promotion? 

Asking for raise is a lot like interviewing for a job. To prepare you need to prepare answers for any questions you might be asked.  You want to be careful to not make any complaints about your job if you wish to stay.  That includes any complaints about your commute or any issues you have with coworkers.I suggest you start your conversation with him (one on one) by claiming you have finished your degree.  This is important because your position and pay was not inclusive of this achievement when you were originally hired and deserves consideration now.  Let your boss congratulate you.Second I suggest that you blame your family for seeking out other opportunities in your field.  Families are great scapegoats in this arena.  Share your success in your investigation for alternative positions that you have had offers at a higher pay rate, but DO NOT SAY HOW MUCH.  If benefits are included, make sure to mention them, especially if they offer benefits your present company does not offer.  Then you harp on how much you enjoy working your present job and how much effort you have put in.  This is where you specifically point out how you have bent over backwards (but not complaining).  By this time your boss will know what you will say next, or will have already brought it up in conversation saving you from the uncomfortable question.  If not, you have to bite with "I need a raise in pay".  Make it a statement, not a question.  And if you want to be relocated, I suggest you open the door at the end,  Then if the boss says he needs to think about it, ask "When can we meet again?"  This last question is key, because it prevents the boss from brushing you off or stalling.  

Good Luck.

• ?

Be straightforward in addressing your request for a raise to your manager. Tell the manager you are asking for the raise at this time because of the accomplishments and contributions you have made, and the additional responsibilities you have taken on. Be prepared with your documentation.

• ?

Go with the new company.  Let your current boss know that you have a great offer and you have decided to take it.  If they ask you can tell them what it will take to make you stay.

I am guessing here, but it seems like they should have offered you more last year and they are not going to pay you more to stay.

So You Say" Boss, you  know that this is a GREAT company to work for and you have been great people, but I have an offer for a position that pays more and is closer to home.  I really feel that I need to accept that offer."

Then they will either open negotiations or say man it will hurt to lose you, who can you train to take over.

You explain your value to the company and tell them you have an offer for more elsewhere. Then see what he says.

I had an assistant manager who was overqualified and underpaid. Rather than pay him more, I kept telling him he would get promoted before long and get his own store at which time he would probably get about double what he was making.

One day he asked me to sit down and told me he wanted what was a 37.5% raise. He expressed it in per week terms.  He was worth it but I was not sure I could pay him that. I knew I could have given him 10 or 15% but not 37.5%.

I had been singing his praises to my boss previously but he never really talked to him. So  my boss said give him a few days and I will get back to you.

He called my assistant into the home office a few days later. During the day, he worked nights for me.   And he talked to him almost like an interview but not. Anyway, he told him he would get the raise and then my boss told me a few days later.

And a few months later he was promoted and got his own store. 

• ?

I don't ask "my job" anything. I speak to my manager.

You're going to ask a brand new boss that you've never even met for a raise?    Your timing is shiite.

Your commute is not your employer's problem and is not basis for a raise.

If you want $3/hour more, what is your rationale? 

If other people would be glad to have your job for what you make now and do just as good a job, you're not underpaid. 

Maybe you should take the new job.   Why haven't you?   If it's a less desirable job for whatever reason, THAT is why they're offering $3/hour more.

Just some food for thought...

• God

I think I would treat your meeting with him as probably a resignation.  Tell him essentially what you told us.  You would love to stay but you got a better offer.  See if he will at least equal the other offer or, hopefully, make a slightly better offer.

• JJ

I think you'll make more at the new company. If you get a raise now to match the new offer, then you will be at the peak of your current job, compared with the starting point of the new one. If you get a raise now, next year they'll say you already got two raises. But at the new company, you never got a raise so next year you could reasonably ask for more.