Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?
Lv 5
? asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

Did you have any Ancestors who fought in World War II?

My grandfather’s brother died in WW2 he stepped on a landmine and was blown up 

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

My grandfather was a POW in Italy.  Told me some great stories about breaking out.  He still had a Swastika armband he'd taken from a German prison guard on the way out. He passed away peacefully just a few years ago just after his 97th birthday.  Toughest SOB I ever met. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No ancestors were in WW II. Male ancestors were either: dead, too old or were working in a defense plant.

• Zack
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

My grandfather on my mom's side fought in WWII. He was stationed in Italy.

• 1 month ago

Your Favorite Answer was given by someone whose grandfather was a fiction writer.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Yes, I had one uncle who served in the Australian Army during WW-2 and later died of illness contracted during his service.

My own father had ankle weakness and was unable to serve, but worked in a "protected industry" as a clerk in a pharmacy research and manufacturing company.

• Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You know the U505 on display in Chicago?  My grandfather was part of the crew that captured her.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

My Uncle serv4d in India WW2 My dad was a Quality Insurance inspector in a Munitions factory My mother worked in a London Hospital nd I watched the Battle of Britain from the Ground

• 1 month ago

My dad was in the Battle of the Bulge. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, my father was in the second wave into Cherbourg. He was held as a POW in Austria. Austria was not neutral as some believe. 

• 1 month ago

My dad and his two brothers served in WWII.  But not in a fighting role.  Dad served in the Philippines after we took it back from Japan.  He had a lot of good stories, but none of them involved blood and guts.

When I was a kid in the 1950s, every kid I knew had a dad who served in the war.  The ones who saw combat didn't want to talk about it.

My mom worked in an airplane plant as a riveter.  Then she joined the WACs (Womens Army Corps) and served mostly as a chauffeur.  She wanted to 'go overseas' but they didn't send WACs overseas.  I saw pictures from that time and she was quite a looker in her day!

• 1 month ago

Yes, my grandfather was in the Wehrmacht. And fought from 39'-45'.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.