Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

Why is my coworker such an idiot?

I have a cashier coworker who makes many mistakes. When he rings up a customer, he never checks to make sure they take their bag and immediately moves onto the next. So many people complained they left their bag at the store. A customer left her returns with him. When she came back to do an exchange, he had lost them. When he needed more fives and singles, he pulled the larger dollar bills out of his register and set it in the drawer next to him so it would spare the manager the trouble of having to open the till himself and got yelled at for it. We were unloading the truck the other day and despite being there for a long time, he kept forgetting where the boxes go and would put them in the wrong category. He also came back from break once and forgot to turn on his light. The boss made a slight jab, asking him if it was his first day. He's friendly and civil in conversations and helpful without being asked, but he's incompetent at his job. I pulled him aside and told him if he can't even be a cashier, he's going to fail in any other career. Why is this guy such a failure?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Why, because not everyone is born with the same intellect. Not everyone has the same capabilities.  Some people don’t work well under pressure. 

I have worked retail in smaller stores. Some employees pick up things fast, some I have do to take off the register because they either keep making the same mistake over and over again or they keep calling for help.

People are different. 

That is why a training manager really needs to be good at their job

• 1 month ago

the poor guy has to live with himself all day every day and you only have to put up with him for a few hours a day at work. do you think he enjoys making all these mistakes? this is who he is going to be forever. so, he really should get a entirely different type of job that suits his mindset. 

ive know those who can tear down an engine and put it back together in blinding speed and perfectly.  yet they have no idea how to drive the car properly, is the worst in traffic.  they can only do one or two things really well and nothing else. everything else for them is a constant struggle. lets hope this guy finds what he is good at cuz being a cashier isnt ever going to be it. 

ive had this friend since grade one in school.  like your co-worker, he can barely do anything ever yet he can tell you every player in every sport and their stats and constantly predicts not just the winner but the score. to bad he is to insecure to go into sports broadcasting cuz he outdoes all the professionals easily. 

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

The best thing for you to do is worry about your own job and not get involved with the DRAMA of dysfunctional people. You cannot change them or help them.They have to do that themselves. Do you enjoy focusing on someone elses drama?

• 1 month ago

This cashier obviously has issues but your attitude is the problem. Consider helping out when you can. You are telling us that he is a nice person, be that in return.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • KTJoe
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Instead of calling coworker a failure, an idiot, ask if you and worker can be placed in another area of grocery store.  Worker has difficulty as cashier, and you for using bully tactics. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Why do you need to tell a group of strangers that?

• L
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

In America, EVERY state is 'at-will'.............meaning; an employer can let an employee go for no reason and an employee can quit for no reason.

He should be given a verbal warning, when me messes up again, a written warning and if he continues to mess up - just let him go.

• 1 month ago

Some people like to make their job difficult just to do it. Others may do it because they are lazy so managers don't expect much from them. I had a manager make a lot of mistakes which annoyed me but I also knew that she had a second job which made her exhausted. Hence caused her mistakes at work. You can't really say anything to him because what is that supposed to do. If his mistakes are causing customers to yell at you and affecting your job then talk to your supervisor.

• OTTO
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Not your problem. Mind your own business.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Who’s the bigger idiot. The cashier or the manager that keeps him around. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.