Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is 14 too young for Sex?

I’m a lesbian.

Yes, get back to school kid! 

When I was that age, my assumption was that practically everyone around me was having sex, but when I got older I realised they were lying.  I still think it's fairly common though.  

Honestly, I personally think 14 is to young. Most people I know that look back on have sex before they were 17 think they probably got started to young. 

IF NOT WANT INTERCOURSE THEN JUST DO NOT DO IT:

I know many people who started at age 14.  

• ?

Maybe, maybe not...depends on the kid.  14 generally IS too young because the girl's brain might not yet be finished with its emotional growth spurt.  Your body is probably ready, buy your mind might not be.  The things to watch out for are:

1.  You might not be ready for the strong feelings that can be involved in an intimate relationship.  If you start feeling overwhelmingly angry, sad, giddy, or like you're head over heels in love that's a sign that you weren't ready.

2.  You might go the other way and find that the sex is really enjoyable but you can't relate to the other person any more than you might relate to a player on the opposing side of a team sport.  That could lead to you having trouble developing proper intimate feelings with the people you meet later in life, so that sex just becomes a matter of athletics to you, devoid of emotional intimacy.  That's also a sign that you shouldn't be doing it.

You don't have to be in love with everyone you'd like to have sex with.  But you should know them, admire them, trust them, and think that they're good people and you're proud to be associated with them.  If it's less than than, then you shouldn't progress to intimacy and sex with them.

All I can say is that 14 wasn't too young for me !!!

That depends entirely on the individual.  However, if you're asking "am I too young," then chances are the answer to the question is probably "yes."

There's nothing wrong with waiting until you're older and reach a point where it just feels natural to you to say "I'm ready."

That really depends on the individual, as everyone has a different maturity level. It is however considerably below the age of consent, so if your partner is over the age of 17, it's illegal.

• Ivan

Yes it is. 14 years old is young enough to send a sexual partner to jail potentially.