Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 1 month ago

Cat cables question?

Hi everyone,

I have CAT cables all throughout my house, but they don't work directly from the wall. The technician told me that I have to buy a hub and connect it to the router.If someone could please explain for a non-tech person, in simple terms, what do I need to buy, where to buy it, and how do I need to connect stuff? (This all has me very confused).Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

5 Answers

  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    you need to buy this device:Ethernet Unmanaged Switch 

     - Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet Splitter,

    Router usually has 4 ethernet ports (outputs)When you have more then 4 devices to connect to router you need this ethernet hub or (switch,splitter)

  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    you don't want a hub, you want a switch. an ethernet switch can manage intricate internet traffic to and from multiple sources.

    a hub is a "dumber" version of that, and cannot route traffic as well.

    you need to connect the 1st port of the switch to the router, and any subsequent cables from around the house to the switch.

    if you don't understand it, you really should hire someone who does...

  • 1 month ago

    In simple terms, If your router has the same number of ethernet ports (places for the cables to plug in) then they should work from the router.  If not, you may need either a hub (a central point where several connections can be made to the router) or a switch (which is a better idea, as it is more dynamic in how it sends signals across to the different cables.)  Now, this also depends on what you have currently in your house.  If all the Ethernet cables that go "all throughout my house" are interconnected, then you have a problem.  Each Cat5 cable must have an end point (such as a computer or smart tv etc) and the other end of the cable must go either into a router, hub or switch.  The switch or hub is then connected via the 'up link' connection to the router and the router then connected to the modem. 

    Long story short, your cable in the back bedroom must run directly to the hub/switch/router.  The cable in the Living room must also run directly to the hub/switch/router. If the layout is unknown, you may need a tech to come in and assess what is there and what is needed.  Hope this helps! 

  • 1 month ago

    Ethernet runs over Cat5e cable.  Your "cat" must be rated Cat5e or higher (i.e. Cat6....).

    Ethernet physical topology is often referred to as hub and spoke - kind of like the hub and spokes on a bicycle wheel.  Each of your cat cable must go to one central spot, the "hub".   The cat cables are the spokes.  At the "hub" you put a device known as an Ethernet switch - Netgear sells Ethernet switches, you can buy them on Amazon or Best Buy.  The number of ports you need on the Ethernet switch depends on how many physical things you're going to connect to it.

    At the other end of the spoke you connect your PC, TV, game console.....whatever uses Ethernet. 

    You connect one of your routers LAN ports to the switch.  Most routers have 4 LAN ports, those are also switch ports.  You only need a switch if your need more "LAN ports" than the router has.  LAN = Local Area Network = Ethernet.

    Sometimes Ethernet switches are called "hubs", but the thing your buying is technically an Ethernet switch.

    You need to make sure the Cat5e is terminated correctly too.  The wires need to be in a specific order to work.

    Example - my house.

    I have at least one (sometimes more) Cat5E cables going from each bedroom in my house, one from the kitchen, a couple from behind the TV in the family room and couple others in the family room to a location in the corner of my basement.  In the same corner is a cable modem that connects to my routers "Internet" port.  From the routers LAN port I have an Ethernet cable going to a port on a 16 port Netgear Ethernet switch.  Each of the cables from the rooms in my house plug into the Ethernet switch.  


  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    You actually would need what's called a gigabit switch rather than a hub. A hub is similar, so people often use the term interchangeably with a switch, but there is a difference between them. The biggest drawback to a hub is they are unable to differentiate the different devices connected to them, it essentially  just splits the signal coming from the router and that's the end of it. In fact, hubs are pretty uncommon these days and you won't have much luck finding one.

    Gigabit switches are able to differentiate the different devices connected to them and are what is commonly used today. They also come in managed and unmanaged switches. Unmanaged will be perfectly fine for your application as you would not need to connect between multiple networks. Unmanaged is also what is commonly found in consumer stores. Switches usually come in standard sizes like 5 port, 8 port, 16 port, and 24 port. You can find these switches at Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Office Max, Staples, Amazon, etc. The amount of CAT (Ethernet) lines you have will determine the size switch you will need. However, you will need one port on the switch to be a feed from the router, so for example, If you buy an 8 port switch, you'd only be able to connect 7 of your CAT lines to it.

    In regards to connecting everything to the switch, you would need an ethernet patch cable (these are also sold at the previously mentioned stores) to go from your router to the switch (you can plug the feed into any port on the switch, there is no assigned "input" port on it). If your CAT lines are already terminated with male connectors, you're in luck, just plug them in the switch. If they are terminated with female connectors, you would need to either buy patch cables to use to connect them to the switch or re-terminate them with male ends. (There are a lot of helpful youtube videos that go over how to do this and what tools and supplies you'd need).

    Hope this helps!

    Source(s): I work in the Information Technology field
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.