Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

My computer has memory issues, what should I do? ?

My computer would spontaneously reboot and sometimes you would hear a long beep. 

My computer had 16gb of ram, 2x 8gb loaded into it.

Windows began to show just 8GB of ram, the other 8GB disappeared (I had this ram in there for a long time you are talking about 2015) 

I took the ram out (both sticks and put in brand new ram) 

While the ram is recognized, the spontaneous reboots still exist. 

What could be the problem? 

• hart

dust the unit out with compresst air

I do every 6 months

don't forget the keyboard

Run Windows 10 in Safe Mode

Run Windows Memory Diagnostic

Run SFC Scanner

Look for Software Problems

Update Your Graphics Card Drivers

Upgrade Your PC's Hardware.

CLEAN OUT PC WITH COMPRESSED AIR!!!

eXTRA STEPS:

Get SSDReset BIOS in MotherboardLoad Optimized Defaults/AHCI ModeReinstall Windows 10Expand Storage/Copy Stuff

• Lv 7

bad motherboard is usually the next culprit. or bad power supply.

do you get a lot of blackouts in your area?

If you have have a 32-bit OS instead of a 64-bit OS then it only utilizes half of the RAM, that could be why it's only recognized half of your RAM.  If you've always had a 32-bit OS then you've always had access to only half your RAM, a recent OS change could have possibly caused an error of some sort to suddenly be triggered after years of not having one.  A long beep code seems to indicate a memory problem, if you have new memory sticks and are still getting the error then it's time to look at the docks they plug into and the rest of the MoBo.  You could also try replacing the CMOS battery or just resetting CMOS by removing the battery and putting it back in.  That will reset your computers internal clock and maybe some other things.  I've never had the CMOS battery be the fix or cause further problems by resetting or replacing it but it's widely suggested.

Bad power supply.            

• User

Several possibilities exist. Most likely one of these:

- intermittent CPU failure

- intermittent motherboard failure

Given the nature of the problem

unless you have a spare CPU that you can plug in and test to see if it the system starts working normally again

I recommend that you replace the computer

or have it repaired by a reputable computer repair shop

or (if it's a standard computer case)

replace the innards yourself with new (upgraded) motherboard, CPU and RAM

• BigE

Look though the system error report.  It might log something before crashing.

I'd start to suspect overheating but that would be a guess.  You can run a monitoring tool to verify that, I don't remember the name but it a desktop icon that shows the current temp.

I would prescribe it Alzheimer's medication if it is having trouble with it's memory. I'd recommend a generic prescription of a new ASUS motherboard with expanded DDRAM5 slots which can hold 64GB-256GB of RAM. 

Then the patient should remember even the pop ups from the porn sites they've visited.