Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

james asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 2 months ago

Will Windows still boot up without hard drive?

I'm running Windows 10 on my PC, my Windows 10 is an OEM copy, which means it installs onto the motherboard. Does that mean Windows will still boot up if I remove the hard drive? 

Windows does not install on the motherboard. If you have a non-retail version, it picks up information from your motherboard that prevents the same copy of Windows being installed on a different computer.  Windows software is always on your hard drive. Your PC will not boot up without an operating system.

The OS does not install into a mobo. It will be on the hard drive. All that the chip on the board does is look for drives to boot from. No drive, no boot.