Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What are the rules regarding car registration/insurance/etc. when moving to a new state?

I've lived in Oregon my whole life and I'm currently moving to Vancouver, WA for at least 6 months. I have honestly no idea what I'm supposed to do as far as my license and car registration goes. What are the rules for that? 

The rules are very simple.  Once you move to a new jurisdiction (state, territory, province, etc.), you have __ days to switch all of the above to the new jurisdiction.  Driver's licence, plates / registration, insurance, the whole dammed thing.

I left the number blank because it varies by jurisdiction, and because I didn't feel like looking up the rules for WA.  But there is one, and it's clearly listed somewhere on the state's website.  If you can't find it on the DMV website, call their 1-800 number and ask, and they'll tell you.  The deadline is an absolute thing, and they don't make exceptions or accept excuses.  And it's something you really need to know for sure, so don't get your info from online total strangers.  

NOTE:  That rule applies to people who move to another state, not people who are visiting.  If you say you're visiting Washington state and live in Oregon, you are.  If you say you're now living in Washington, you are.  You decide where your home address is, but you can only have one home address at a time.  

• ?

Look it up on the Washington DMV website.  Everything you need to know is there.

When you "move" you have to get a new license and new registration.

When you just visit, and your permanent home does not change, you just keep your existing license and registration.

You go to the WA DMV website and do some researching.

• Anton

What matters is residence -- what you call HOME.

If you are a registered voter in Oregon, that is your home.

The LAW in Washington states that if you are a resident - which requires a 6 month time frame -  you are required to get a Washington license.  Your insurance carrier should be advised when you moved.  The rates in the two States are different.

If you are only going for 6 months, I would keep the old tag unless you have to renew it before then.  A lot of people do the same thing and wait until their tag is near expiration. You are not going to jail over it.

• ?

Gee, if only the Washington DMV had some sort of readily available  site that provides that information... Oh wait, they do.

If the move is temporary and you will return to your Oregon address.  You don't have to do anything about car registration and insurance.  Just file a change of address card with the USPS.