Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What to do about coworker who is always late?

Currently I am dealing with a situation where my coworker is always late to work. I am working at a coffee shop right now and I can’t really leave until my coworker takes my place. Sometimes she is 5 minutes late, 10-15 or more. Today she was 25 minutes late and I was feeling so angry. My time is valuable like anyone else’s so I am fed up with this. I haven’t brought the situation up to my boss yet and I don’t want to get my coworker in trouble because she’s really nice, but enough is enough. I have homework and other things to attend to at home, so I can’t stick around for long. What should I do? 

You absolutely should talk to your boss. It doesn't matter how nice your co-worker is--she's taking advantage of you and the company. That's not good. PLEASE approach your boss and let them know you are having a hard time staying after for her relief--because you have other obligations. You're right that your time is just as valuable as hers.  

When you talk to the boss, don't be insulting or name names:  just let them know that you have been delayed in getting home at the end of your shift because your replacement has not arrived on time. That keeps YOU out of trouble, it doesn't look like you're targeting the other employee, and it gets your point across. And then THEY will handle this, and you won't be on the hook for anything. 

Source(s): Worked in HR for 31 years.
  • Rita

Use a time clock. ...

Schedule a staff meeting first thing in the day. ...

Be clear and consistent about the rules. ...

Require phone calls. ...

Institute consequences for lateness.

• She's missing out on earning more money if she can't show up on time. It's also rude to keep people waiting. Ask her why she's always late. Tell her it's important for her to be reliable and be on time. The next time she's late you're going to have to say some thing to your boss. If you don't mention some thing to her, she's going to keep showing up late.

I had a co worker like this too. She was always late because she had to drop her kids off at school, or she had some appointment to go to. She changed her status to part time, so she wasn't late any more. But instead of being late she took a lot of time off because she was tired. She some how still has a job, but she's been off since the latest lock down in my area. 

• Maxi

Report her daily lateness you to line manager

"I haven’t brought the situation up to my boss yet and I don’t want to get my coworker in trouble because she’s really nice"

No, she's not really nice if she treats you this way.  She's playing your and/or you're enabling her.

Flat out tell her you need to leave on time every day.  No exceptions.  Tell her the next time it happens you'll need to discuss with your boss. Then follow through.  Don't feel guilty.  It's not on you.

BTW - I assume you're not sticking around for free and that she isn't pretending she was there at the start of her shift.  That being the case, your boss should know it's happening.  If you're working 5-25 minutes extra without pay, well, that's just not smart.  (You're basically just giving her money every day.)

You are being paid for the extra 5-25 minutes so chill out.

Grow some balls and speak to her. Explain the situation calmly and politely. But make it clear that if it continues you will have no option but to speak to the boss. 

Before you approach your boss, think about how our co-worker's chronic lateness impacts the work, rather than how it impacts you personally.

Say you work a five-day work week. She's late 5 minutes twice, 10 minutes once, 15 minutes once, and 25 minutes once. That's an hour of her shift you worked! A boss who sees that you're working an extra hour every week might see that's unfair and step up to correct the lateness--or might not. Sad to say, as long as somebody's there, the boss may not care who it is.

You can tackle this yourself before doing anything more. "You know, I'm glad to cover for a few minutes when something comes up that makes you late, just as I hope someone would be for me. But you're taking advantage, being late every day. If this continues, I'm going to have to talk to our boss. Last week I worked an hour of your shift."