Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

My neighbor is breeding golden doodle dogs and he is offering me one. Should I be prepared for an easy or a difficult dog to take care of?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

well when you mix 2 gun dog/retrivng breeds it's going to be high energy, very intelligent, food motivated 50/50 shedding as well as regular brushing and going to the groomers

sounds like they are byb and will have had no health tests so high possibility of joint/health issuses, and when u mix breeds you don't know what ur going to get but i would say it'll be high maintenence grooming wise, will need a ton of exercise and mental stimulation as well as propper training ofc 

i would say if u are an active person willing to train them properly and can afford proper grooming it could be a fun dog to have but deffo not easy 

• garry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

2 bad breeds , expect hip trouble with that breed , there notorious for it . and the vets charges too much to fix it . can be an expensive dog . your friend doesnt care as long as he gets the money .

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

VERY easy breed. Just like Basset Hound puppies. Mine is well-adjusted despite being blind, deaf and retarded.

Attachment image
  • TK
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Flip a coin on what you'll get because it's a mutt.  It's likely the coat will need monthly professional grooming like a poodle.  It's possible you'll get a dog with hip dysplasia and PRA since I doubt your neighbor is paying for any genetic testing to rule out these problems with the parents.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Depending on where you live and the pets personality, monthly grooming cost start at $100 and go up; can you afford that?  If your neighbor is a backyard breeder, I'm guessing you don't live in an affluent neighborhood.  Backyard breeders are even worse than puppy mills!  Puppy mills sell to pet stores and must prove the animals have first round of shots and health check, backyard breeders do not adhere to any standards. 

• 2 months ago

Why not ask the neighbor that is breeding them.  You may need to learn how to pick a puppy from a litter.  The litter has a pecking order from the most submissive pup to the most dominate.  What temperament are you looking for?  The more research you do on this dog, the more you will learn about them.  Just look up everything that is 'golden doodle' & learn more about them.

• 2 months ago

Difficult.   These dogs are often hyper and neurotic.   They also shed and matt.    Groomers typically MUST shave them down because the undercoat will be such a matted mess.    They take more grooming than a regular poodle does.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

So you have a BYB next door breeding mutts......... no one knows what a mutt will be like as there is no standards

• Jojo
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Anything dog thats `Doodle` is basically a mongrel and its impossible to predict what `traits` it will possess. 

Also how biddable the dog will turn out to be will depend on its genetic temperament, as that is the same for any dog, pedigree or Mixed breed. 

If you want a fairly easy dog to handle, then you should go for puppy with a laid back  or submissive temperament and NOT one with a dominant or willful temperament.

A GOOD breeder will try and suit the temperament of their pups to the potential new owners lifestyle and requirements.   

• !
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Depends on the nature of the parents

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.