Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 2 months ago

If you’re an atheist because you have no good reason to believe, then doesn’t that mean you have no good reason to be an atheist?

Sure - agnosticism seems to me the only sound conclusion - we simply don't know.  I wish we could all just agree on that.  So much conflict would go away.

And perhaps the pterodactyl fossil at the museum is infact a dragon and if urinated on by a one eyed chinchilla will return to life and breed with bigfoot . As long as we're being illogical why not go for preposterous.

• Herve

What a nonsensical question. Try again.

No it does not.  Someone has to put forward a personal theory or opinion for another person to either believe in it or not.   If he hadn't put forward his ideas in the first place, then the situation would never have arisen  whereby another person would have reason to disagree with it,  would it ??

Your question is a show of PROFOUND IGNORANCE with a neon beam attached to it!  

I'm an Atheist and I work at a car dealer ship and I can't afford a really nice sporty car that I want so does that mean that I should just lose all hope and purpose in life. That would be like telling a car enthusiast that only has 2 nice cars that he should just give up all hope and purpose and happiness in life because he is not a multi-millionaire with 20-30 fancy expensive cars to full fill his happiness. It's a ridiculous proposition. 

An atheist has a LACK of belief, so that invalidates your question. 

• Sky

If you have no good reason to believe you can fly, doesn't that mean you have no good reason to not jump off a building while flapping your arms?  Your question is illogical.  The definition of atheist is someone who does not believe in any gods, ie. the opposite of theist.  If someone is not convinced by the arguments religion makes for a god (any of them), that person does not believe in a god and therefore is an atheist by definition.  They have a very good reason to be an atheist, which is that there is no reason or evidence to believe in the outlandish claims of religion about an invisible man in the sky.  Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and that which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

I stopped believing when I realized that churches make changes to what they "believe" and what the "accept" based on getting people to come to their churches.

When I was growing up, colored nail polish was "against the Bible" according to our church and my mother.  But, a few years after I moved out, I caught my mom wearing bright red polish.  I asked her why and she said "the church has changed their mind about this" and I asked her what part of the Bible changed that made them think it was not okay before but that it is okay now.

Same thing is currently happening with some churches still saying that being gay or lesbian is a sin but other churches are accepting them.  Aren't these churches all suppose to be teaching from the same Bible and following the same "God".  How can one church believe one thing while another church says it is wrong.

The Bible is a fairy tale.  

Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

-I contend we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.- Stephen Roberts