Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Why does society treat male abuse survivors like a joke?

I was sexually abused by my aunt for years. It had profound effects on my confidence abd my ability to have relationships with women. I once found the courage to tell my mother and sister about what she was doing and they had the gaul to act like I was asking for it. They made me feel like it was my fault. I thought about finding a psychiatrist, but I wonder what is the point? Everyone acts like men can't be abused, and so I've suffered in silence. I don't no what to do anymore, I'm just in so much personal anguish all the time. I know and acknowledge that female abuse should never happen, and that the abusers should be punished to the highesy degree possible, but Why doesn't anyone care about male abuse survivors?

People often have a hard time addressing what is unfamiliar, because this has to do with psychological abuse taking a physical form and this is extremely rare and disbelief and denial are a major cause of the inaction on your mother and sister part. Therapy will help in coping and getting your deep seated emotions out in the open.

Some people do care.

You just need to find them.

• J H

Family simply can't handle hearing about it. Many KNEW, did nothing. Both boys and girls. It IS helpful to see some councillor or psychiatrist but trust your gut whether you like them.

I'm assuming your aunt stopped? What if you went, saw her, asked her why she 

did it? I'm pretty sure you could report her. Do you think she's still doing it?

Often these people seem very charming to your family. Easier to blame you than confront her.

I actually think counseling could help you heal.

Great if you didn't have to see those people, cruel, mean.  

There are lots like them in the world.

cause theyre not taking it seriously

What did your aunt do when you told her to stop?