Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

If you get a new car, can your old plates go on new car? ?

If not, why..? 

Update:

**In Texas

41 Answers

Relevance
  • L
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Each state has their own rules about this.  When you are shopping, for a new car, ask the salesman or finance manager about this.

• 1 month ago

It depends on the state, but as far as i know there is no reason not to transfer them over. It saves half the cost of licensing where I live.

• 1 month ago

In many, it not most states, you can transfer plates to a different vehicle in some cases.

Some states require you to prove you no longer own the vehicle for which the plates were originally issued.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Texas encourages you to transfer your plates to your next car. You can do that at the county tax office.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Adele
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Yes, it is possible. Most states in the United States allow it given that the same person is the registered owner of the old and new vehicles. You won't get the leverage if the car is leased because you will no longer be the owner in that case.

• garry
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

yes they can , but you pay a fee to keep the old plates .

• car253
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes you can keep you plates.   You just transfer them to your new car. 

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/license-plates

• ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

In Texas you keep the plates when you sell your car.  So yes. plates from your old car can be put on your new car

• 2 months ago

It depends on your state. You will have to ask the BMV in Texas this question. Sometimes old plates CAN be transferred to the new car. But not everywhere. 

• Ivan
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

In NV they can. I think they stay with car in CA though, unless they are "personalized plates." Different states have different rules.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.