Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 2 months ago

Why did god make recessive and dominant alleles, I have brown eyes and my wife has blue eyes but are kids can’t have blue eyes because of me?

Since I have brown eyes and all my family has brown eyes I want my kids eyes to be beautiful like my wife but they will almost certainly be brown why can’t there be a fifty fifty chance instead of guaranteed brown

I have the greenest eyes ever and my ex husband has the bluest eyes ever.  My daughter has DARK brown eyes. And yes, he IS her father.  She took a genetics class in college and jokingly asked me if she was adopted because they told her that was highly highly improbable.  

• ?

Even from a simplistic Mendelian view of genetics it isn't 100% certain. A person with blue eyes would always be bb, but a brown eyed person may be either BB or Bb due to the way dominance works. If a person with Bb alleles (who may not even be aware of it since only the brown phenotype is seen) has children with a bb genotype blue-eyed individual then an average of 50% of their offspring will also have blue eyes. If two individuals with Bb genotypes have children then roughly 25% of their children will have a blue eyed phenotype.

However, in reality eye colour is a lot more complicated than the early models derived by Gregor Mendel, with numerous genes influencing phenotype and there are mutations and genetic anomalies may happen during crossing over that cause certain genes to be missing or deactivated.

• Zirp

hold on here. Having a dominant fenotype does not mean that your children cannot have a recessive one. "Dominant" does NOT mean that it gets passed on preferentially to recessive. The one-drop rule is WRONG.

Some people with a "fully" black grandparent are white themselves

an like the others said, eyecolour is a lot more complicated than just one gene

I am pleased about one thing in your question. You spell god correctly with a lowercase letter 'g'.

Let's forget gods because none exist; there is no evidence for any gods; this is a science forum and not one about religion.

I would not expect you to know about the genetics behind eye colour. It is, however, relatively complex. You are thinking about it as if it were controlled by a single gene and that gene may has two forms (called alleles): blue and brown.

That is not the case. Eye colour is what is called polygenic, which means it is the result of a number of genes. We are still not absolutely sure how many. These genes all have a variety of alleles. So determining the colour of a persons eyes is quite complex.

It's evolution.  The blue eyes were a mutation in northern Europe/Russia,  and nowhere else. 

The genetics and inheritance of eye color in humans is complicated. So far, as many as 15 genes have been associated with eye color inheritance. The earlier belief that blue eye color is a simple recessive trait has been shown to be incorrect. The genetics of eye color are so complex, that almost any parent-child combination of eye colors can occur.