Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 2 months ago

Are a lot of auto insurance companies “nation wide?”?

I’m moving to the Midwest for work. I will have to switch auto companies. Are most “large” auto companies like Geico, State Farm, Allstate etc. available in all states? I’m moving to Nebraska from Florida. I know it’s going to be a major adjustment for myself and my family. We aren’t exactly “looking forward to it” but it was move or lose my job so here we are....

• TedEx

To operate in ANY state the ins co must be registered with the respective state insurance commissioner. Most of the major ones are, but there are some exceptions.Your safest course of action is to check with your agent,

• car253

Yes. The big companies you mention are in all states.   You just need to contact an insurance agent in the new state to make the transfer.     Probably best that you stick with the same company no matter where you move. 

They are called Branch offices.  Some large companies are that big (kind of like McDonalds) so you are dealing with a different branch of the same business.  If anything you need to notify them that you have a new address (for maybe that state has higher insurance rates...suck it up, it is what it is (or it may be lower) so an adjustment is made to your policy and an exchange of money may be in the offing. Chance is good it will drop because who the fruck wants to live in Nebraska anyways?   A lot less cars= a lot less old drivers= a lot less car crashes.

Then again, you get SNOW.  Slip, sliding away...

Driving rules are still the same so NO BIG DEAL.

• ?

Most large insurance companies are licensed to do business in all U.S. states but not all.   Your insurance company will tell you if they are licensed in Nebraska.  Ask them

• ?

Nationwide scored slightly below industry average on the J.D. Power 2018 U.S. ... And Nationwide auto is available in most states, but not all. For drivers who are looking for a solid, big-name auto insurance provider that also offers homeowners, renters and condo insurance, though, Nationwide is a quality choice.

Most of the major insurers operate nation wide.  But because there is always a catch, there's a catch.  The catch is they all operate at the state level.

Everything about personal vehicles is done at the state level.  Driver licensing, plates, traffic laws and insurance contracts all vary from state to state.  When you move to a new state, you have __ days to switch over your license, plates / registration and insurance. (I left the number blank because that too varies by state.)  If you go over the deadline, your license / plates / insurance are completely invalid.

Because it's done at the state level, even if you stay with Gayco or Sosumi Mutual or whoever, you'll have to sign a new contract in the new state, and the price will almost certainly be different. 

Geico is in most states; I'm not sure if it's in all of them.

Yes, the majority are active in all States.  HOWEVER, I found that "Farmers" is very reasonable in California and very high in NY.

Yes, many nationwide companies operate in Nebraska.

• ?

Most manor insurance companies are licensed in most states, if not all of them.