Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

In Greek Mythology, is it mentioned where animals would go after death?

I know mortals go to the underworld, but do animals do too?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Straight to the kitchens to be cooked generally. There was no refrigeration back then, so you had to eat your meat before it went stinky and bad.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

They did not have pets like we have pets, so most of their animals would be eaten, being it is sheep, goats, pigeons, ducks, fish,.  There is no mention of them as they were not as important as man.

• Elaine
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The gods placed some animals in the sky as a memorial. The most well known is Orion accompanied by his hunting dogs: Canis Major and Canis Minor. Other than their placement in the sky the Greek myths don't tell us much about an afterlife for animals

• Ivan
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

They usually go into the cooking pot.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Justin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

As I recall, only animals that became one with the human soul through acts of shared bravery or loyalty continued into the afterlife. They could also do this for 'evil' reasons by acting as surrogates for 'gods' and their mischief, punished with the wicked in Hades or transformed into monsters. Generally though, non-human animals just return to their own kind and pass along their experiences in spirit form, adding to the knowledge and skills of the species. I recall no separate 'animal afterlife' location or mythology. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.