Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 2 months ago

Why are Democrats trying to raise the national minimum wage to $15 an hour?

I consider myself moderate and independent. I think raising the national minimum wage to $15 is a stupid idea that would disrupt a lot of state economies. Different states have different costs of living. If you live in California or New York, you likely need a $15 minimum wage or higher because those two states have a high cost of living. I've visited California and was surprised at how much more rent costs there than in my state. But if you live in Missouri or Montana, you don't need $15 minimum wage because the cost of living in those states are much less than in bigger states. If anything, increasing the minimum wage to $15 an hour in states like Missouri will destroy businesses in those states.

What I mean is why can't the federal government just let the states decide their own minimum wage instead of force a one-size-fits-all solution? I'm not saying minimum wage is bad. But people in different states have different costs of living.

Beardog, but they're not proper because their cost of living is lower. You don't seem to get the point I'm trying to make. For example, in California cheap homes for rent is around $1,000. In my state, the same kind of home for rent is around $700. So, people in California need more money than me to have the same lifestyle as me. It would make sense for them to have a higher minimum wage. I don't need it though. It would destroy my state economy because forcing businesses in my state to 

pay $15 an hour would be like forcing California to pay $20 to $25 an hour. It means they'd have less to buy material and to operate.

Anonymous, read what I wrote to beardog above. And who said anything about $7.25 minimum wage? 

• garry

some election promise if the companies can afford it , strange how australia has a $20 minimum wage and your still trying to get $15 ...lol .. tell the unemployed about $15 an hour ..lol. tell home depot they had to pay $15 an hour and they would laugh at you ..lol

• ?

people that make minimum wage think that if minimum wage increase they'll be moving forward, but they'll still be on the same page because when minimum wage increase prices increase. 

they need to work their way up to a better paying job 

minimum wage jobs are jobs to start off not jobs to live off

because they want to kill 1.3 million jobs!!

So more Amercans do not become homeless, of course. If you love America and Americans, you will want to pay them a living wage.

WILL THE RIGHT ALLOW THE LEFT TO DESTROY THIS COUNTRY OR WILL WE HAVE A CIVIL WAR

Australia Pays $20 an Hour the USA can afford $25 that way all americans can have a Liveable wage without Tips

Minimum wage setting always has other consequences.

I imaging everyone's wages being laid out on the top of a boat. Anyone who complains about the height of their pile will sometimes get an increase. When the height of their pile in increased everyone else's goes down as the boat settles into the water.

That has the effect of raising prices. For instance, you could double everyone's wages and double all the prices and while the numbers on your payslip would look better you would still only have the same purchasing power.

I don’t see anything wrong with disruption. The economies in Kentucky and Alabama have been screwing the people who live there for a long time. Why should you have to be poorer just because you were born in a red state? 

Name one state where the federal minimum wage of $7.25 can afford the cost of living. I’ll wait.

The truth is job wages are not keeping up with the rate of inflation. The federal minimum wage does not come close to a living wage anywhere in the US; Americans cannot afford basic necessities with a minimum wage job.

“Why can't the federal government let the states decide?” Some states clearly won't get off their äss to fix the problem. It's been like over 40 years and job wages have barely budged

Because starvation wages are immoral. Republicans say if a minimum wage worker wants to stop starving to death they should magically become a nuclear physicist or invent time machines or futuristic Star Trek technology. Republicans are freaking insane and nobody should listen to them. They’ve destroyed enough. They’ve killed enough. Wake up or face God’s judgment.