Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

Can I lie and say I'm white on my job application? ?

Can I say, "My mom is white and my dad is black, but I identify as white", even though both are black? Mixed kids can say whatever they want to be identified as, but I'm worried that I'll get denied on every job application (online).

Anon, I really do not care if you were to identify as black or not. So I'm not offended like you obviously want me to be. And what the hell is EEO point???

I'm transphobic to be very honest, but I do have aspergers, adhd, and ied, so I'll put that down, but I doubt that'll do anything for me.

Cloven, if you're mixed with anything, you CAN whatever it is you want to. Just because someone isn't pure white doesn't mean they can't identify as white because they're HALF, it's either or for them.

And Judy, obviously you sometimes do have to if I'm asking this question.

Alex, you're not a slave to white people, nor have you ever been. There are no more slaves who are enslaved right in America at all. Slavery ended long ago, so you do NOT deserve any reparation checks at all. And you used the wrong "their/ they're/ there". I'll let you figure it out. I'm not white, you racist n!gger. jmgrant912@gmail.com if you want an argument.

• Favourite answer

They shouldn't care that much about what your background is. I've seen employers hire people with out caring what their skin color is. 

Most employers care if you have the skills and experience it takes to do the job.

They want to know what work and or volunteer experience you have, your education history and if you have references add them too.

Never put any thing like having a disability down on an application either. 

If you do any of that you probably won't get the job. 

I have ADD and a I'm kind of a slow learner, but I managed to get jobs with out putting that on a resume. I'm currently working full time. 

• Rita

On most job applications, it's up to the applicant's discretion whether to answer a race question at all. And of course, employers aren't supposed to consider race when making hiring decisions.

Or a shade of gray.

• garry

you are actually a mixed blood , you are allowed to put down either technically . you can use either .

You can just say "white" if you want to. If that's what you identify with, that's all you have to put on any application. 

• Judy

Uh, you don't put your race on a job application

Sorry to break it to you but mixed kids cant just say what they want.. if you are mixed black/white you are black, if you are mixed chinese/white you are chinese, etc... basically if you aint pure white, white people just see a foreigner/ethnic. It gets more confusing for them if you have a caucasian surname, youll get further along the job process but if they dont like non-white you still aint getting the job.

I'm mixed and ive lived in the west for over 40 years.(UK, Canada, US)

If it is a medium to large corporation you would be much better off saying you are black.  Corporations have to file reports which show how they are trying to hire minorities .  I was the hiring manager for several corporations and I know about this.

There are some who would deny you just because you are a half breed.  Honesty is best.  I think more people would give you a chance knowing that your parents stuck with the likes of each other, instead of mixing races.

• n2mama

Can you lie on a job application? Sure, but if/when your lie is discovered the company has the right to either not hire you or end your employment immediately. Job descriptions generally have a statement at the end that says something along the lines of “I acknowledge the information provided is correct to the best of my knowledge” or something similar. Lying about your ethnicity would be viewed the same as lying about your educational background or work experience. You could always just check the “prefer not to answer” option when asked about ethnic background.