Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

My boyfriend tells me what I can’t eat?

Hi, 

I’ve been with my boyfriend for awhile now. Things are good but he recently made a comment about me putting on weight on my face 

I have recently put on a lot of weight due to lots of things like lockdown and university stress, I know I should probably loose a little weight but it doesn’t massive bother me. I am now a size 12 maybe at a push 14 depending where I shop 

Today my boyfriend said to me he wants me to cut down on meats & dairy products and to just eat fish & no dairy & to drink 2l of water a day

Is this normal?? Is he just trying to help me? As I said I do need to loose my weight (my stretch marks are terrible) has anyone else gone through this? I’m asking because I can be really sensitive 

Lose weight or lose him.

I think he loves you a lot and wants you to be healthy. As you mentioned that you have put weight and this may reflect to onset of diseases that he may be of concern. It is better to check it now rather it is too late to fix the problem. 

And is he perfectly fit and chiseled? I'm guessing not. Start telling him what to eat and see how he likes it.

• adam

um he is kinda being a jerk. If YOU want to lose weight ya do it for yourself not for him. Tell him to suck his own d-ck next time he tells you what to eat LOL!

• keerok

Hahaha! I keep telling my wife to eat more. In fact, I even cook more for her.

It may seem puzzling when someone you perhaps love and trust says he doesn't want a relationship anymore. What can that possibly mean, you wonder? Maybe you wonder this because your own love and commitment are so strong that just ending things abruptly forever seems unthinkable.

However, with men, the way men communicate, there are seldom “hidden” meanings. He really does want to break up, as unthinkable as that may be to you.

I am very sorry to tell you this because I sense that, for you, it feels like a great loss at this moment. However, please consider this: you are a wonderful, unique human being with much to offer and this man is proving that he is utterly incapable of properly appreciating your unique gifts. It might not seem like it now, but his ending this relationship is a blessing for you.

Why is it a blessing? Because when someone who lacks the capacity to appreciate you remains in your life, all your charms and talents are wasted on that man. You do not have the opportunity to find a better man when such a man is around. And, in fact, being a single woman and being kind to yourself and acknowledging and appreciating the best in yourself is better than being with a man who cannot see these things.

I know that you are in pain now, but in time, I hope you come to see these things. Some people have mocked your question. Please ignore that. They do not understand that when we suffer a loss, we go through denial. This is very normal

Unless you asked him for weight loss advice, he's out of line. What anAsshole he is

Ok eat oatmeal, once in a while, drink lots of water sometimes walk in town be safe alway be safe

• Rick B

You need to lose weight, not loose.

No, it is not normal for a boyfriend to control your diet and expect you to lose weight.

It happens far too often.  So - is it "normal" - sort of - BUT it is also a big red flag.  This is the first sign of someone who is NOT a loving and supporting person.  He is actually a control freak that wants everything in his life to be a certain way - including you.  

If he is willing to actually try to make rules about what you eat while you are just his girl friend - imagine what he might do if you actually marry him.

If you want to decide if he is trying to help you or if he is trying to control you - then eat something he thinks you shouldn't be eating and see how he reacts.  If he is kind and just reminds you that it isn't a "healthy" choice - then he is trying to help you.  If he gets angry - then he is trying to control you.

What you do about this is completely up to you - but I would personally NEVER put up with that kind of treatment even if it was with the best of intentions.  (I actually told my last boyfriend that if he ever thought he could tell me what to do in any way that I would show him the door - we have actually been together for 34 years now and he has NEVER tried to tell me what I can or can't do.)