Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is upgrading my RAM to 12GB not ideal?

My laptop is 5 yrs old will be upgrading this year. I dont want to invest a lot on a device that i will soon not use. BUT I have read that when upgrading RAM it is usually done with another same size ram. (8gb + 8gb, 16+16 4+4 etc) i have a 8gb installed and just one more available slot and am thinking of buying 4GB RAM.

• Rita

For most people, 8GB is sufficient for good performance, However if you do things like editing large graphics or video files, adding more RAM may improve performance. So unless you do those things a lot, 12GB is more than enough and it's not worth adding any more.

If you have two sticks in dual channel you want them both to be the same.

• L.N.

8Gb is usually the sweet spot for Windows 10. Unlikely you will see much improvement from another 4Gb. Replacing a mechanical hard drive with an SSD will give you a lot more bang for the buck. 

Some laptops require two identical sticks of memory, check the user manual before buying more RAM. 

• garry

for starters , you cant upgrade to 12 gb , it has to be (2x 8gb)16 gb , and you havent the faintest idea on what you do , take it to a repairer , he will fit the correct ram for you , 10 minute job , and will turn on the computer to see if its done correctly , it will work out cheaper to pay a professional , what type of ram , 16 gb , what type with or without parity , the speed , is it ddr3 or ddr 4 , there not compatable , do you know that dont you . oh yes and where does it go , either a card of separate chips .and dont forget to earth yourself ..

• Mark J

what makes you think you need more system memory. 8gb is a fair bit more than the minimum required.

Unless you are editing video, or playing a very modern game ifs unlikely you will need to increase memory. If you are playing resource hungry games then its unlikely you will be using a 5 Yr old laptop in the first place.

Save your cash and at some stage replace the computer

I have done that and seen small improvement. It's not ideal or a go/no go situation. But, since I already had the modules, I experimented with them. I wouldn't buy mismatched ram though. Buy matched ram.

• ?

If you do upgrade your RAM you won't see an improvement, however it will allow you to run more programs at the same time without slowing your computer down. 

In my case, even when I had 16GB of RAM in my computer, I was always at 25% in usage of it. One of my ram sticks went bad and I had to toss that stick, which leaves me to 8GB of ram and it is running very smooth on my computer, can't tell a difference. 

This solely depends on if you are running very heavy programs that requires a whole lot of ram or that you want to do a bunch of things at once by running several programs at the same time. 

you NEED to read reviews to discover if your specific brand/model allows this.  And even if it says it does, sometimes it doesn't work, even when sticking to the same brand or RAM and same model line

I actually had issues when installing different sizes of the same speed of Value RAM from Kingston even though the available notes indicated that nearly any combination of such cards would work.

Since that time, I've tried to buy identical RAM cards (from the same vendor with the same product and serial numbers) for installation even though an advocate for the defense may blame the BIOS, the motherboard, or the OS I was using.

• Nicey8

Hi, it is better to install another 8GB RAM. it is not that expensive, it is quite cheap.