Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Urgent how to give a dog medicine without forced feeding?

Mixing with mince meat or cheese didn’t work,he doesn’t eat the food once the powdered pills are added.

Update:

Thanks everybody

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

You can try putting the pill in peanut butter and then using your finger to wipe it on the inside of his cheek.   Peanut butter is pretty hard to spit out.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

through a drip

• 1 month ago

• "Urgent how to give a dog medicine without forced feeding?"

The simplest is a 4-stages routine, very like [Amos] recommended.

Prepare 3 pieces of a favourite taste treat, each JUST big enough to hold the WHOLE PILL. Make sure that the pill is IN piece #2 and all 3 pieces are easy for you to reach but impossible for the "dog" to reach.

• "Mixing with mince meat or cheese didn’t work,he doesn’t eat the food once the powdered pills are added."

So YOU have FAILED to tell us what he DOES like, damnit! So WE have to suggest a possibility but rely on YOU to change it to the thing he LIKES most. I'm going to guess chicken hearts - but whether he prefers raw or pre-cooked I have no way of knowing.

SHEESH - you haven't even had the SENSE to tell us the ELEMENTARY information:

💥1: What is this "dog"s AGE, BREED (or breed-mix), GENDER? Is it fertile, or neutered?

💥2: What is the "medicine" NAMED, and what is its PURPOSE?

💥3: What IDIOT told you to POWDER the pills? (I'll bet it wasn't a VET!!!!!)

Powdering lets ALL the nasty taste OUT that is meant to be hidden INSIDE the pill until the pill reaches the dog's belly and the stomach acid dissolves the "skin" of the pill.

If you intend to POWDER the pill, you are going to have to put the powder inside a blow-pipe, sit the "dog", then play a game where you touch "his" mouth in various places until "he" opens his mouth to catch your finger or push it away. KEEP doing it until you know which places get "him" to open "his" mouth. When you are quite sure of how to get "him" to do it, pick the blow-pipe up with your most agile hand, keeping on teasing "him" with your other hand. Put one end of the blow-pipe in your mouth, make the other end touch various parts of "his" mouth, then - when it is well inside "his" mouth - YOU BLOW.

And make sure you don't SUCK - unless you WANT to find out WHY "he" detests the powdery meat!

In case the reason you didn't TELL us anything important is that this is your first entry to Y!A and you are a scared child, the way to answer my 3 💥 questions is:

★a: Click the ( Edit ) under your Question, then

★b: click the [Add Update] that will appear, followed by

★c: typing the missing information into the clear area that will appear.

★d: Then CHECK and CORRECT your typing, before clicking [Submit].

People who hide their own chosen avatar & username are almost always cowardly obsessives or cowardly trolls.

Now the "4-stage" method of giving pills:

⚡️Step 1: Use Treat 1 to tease Pup until you stop and let him lick it off your palm.

⚡️Step 2: Use Treat 2 (the one with the pill in it) to tease him then let him lick it off your palm.

⚡️Step 3: Instantly pick Treat 3 up and toss it up so he will snatch at it and - if he misses, will swallow Treat 2 pill-&-all to chase the treat he missed.

⚡️Step 4: Praise him; make a fuss of him; and play a game - my GSDs love chasing balls. YOU'd better know what YOUR dog likes.

👸🏽 If you're a newbie, please LEARN that, after you ask a question, you are supposed to - within a WEEK (a fortnight at the latest) - choose the answerer who tried hardest to help you, then click the   [Favourite Answer]   label that's just below his/her answer. That not only pleases that answerer by awarding him/her points, it ALSO "refunds" to you 3 of the 5 points it "costs" to ask a Question in Y!A.

Kreaky Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

Attachment image
  • garry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

wrap the pill in meat , then they will eat it , they see a pill or powder they spit it out of by pass it , wrap it in meat and they cant taste it .

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you don't want to pop the pill down his throat, then trying to hide it in food is the best you can do. 

• 1 month ago

Here are some videos that show you how to do it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+pill+a+dog+...

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

With my Bassets (note not ME Basset Hound), I could open their mouths and just lob the pill in - no crushing.   Alternatively, with the awkward ones, I'd hide the pill in a cheese or ham flat, and make a second so they eat the pilled one, and swallowed it fast, concentrating on the second non-pilled one.   You have to use a bait they like!!

If it makes life easier, you could see if the pill he needs is available in a liquid form so you may find using a syringe easier.

Lv 7
    1 month ago

A good amount of dogs hate it, no matter what you do, but it must be done. My dog will spit out the pill pockets or somehow, eat around it and spit the pill out. Hiding it in food doesn't work, nor does crushing it and sprinkling it. Crafty jerk. So I get his favorite treat ready, sit him down, gently open his mouth, shove the pill in, gently close his mouth and hold his head up, like Maxi said, until he's swallowed, the end. He gets a tasty treat after and all tail wags. I pretty much have him trained with a specific "bad time" treat. HE LOVES THESE THINGS, so I give them to him when he's about to get something he doesn't like: bath, ear wash/wipe, claw trimming, or pills. So he knows he has to go through something bad to get the good, end of story. If I'm out of the treat, peanut butter works in a pinch. Sometimes, you cannot hide the pill or trick them, you just have to get it done. Pill pockets work for certain dogs, like my mom's dog who loves those things. 

• Darby
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Look in a pet store for "pill pockets" or "pill pouches."  They're soft treats with an open end.  You drop the medicine tablet inside and pinch it closed.  Dogs usually chomp it right down and don't even taste the medicine.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Get the pill ready, sit down and get the dog to sit between your legs looking away from you, with one hand move your finger to the back of the dogs mouth, there is a gap in their teeth, finger in and touch the roof of the mouth the dog will open its mouth instantly drop the pill in with the other hand and  then rub the dogs neck holding the head up so the pill slips down and is swallowed...all done is 3-5 seconds then give a treat...... trying to con a dog when giving meds is pointless as they have a far better sense of smell than humans and they stop trusting you and that makes it very difficult for any future med giving

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.