Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How many people have ever lived?

I saw wikipedia states the number at 107 billion. However, if I consider a generation to be roughly 25 years, then 10 generations (2 centuries) up to anybody's birth involves around 1,000 people past. Twenty generations (5 centuries) require 1 million people and, 30 generations (some 7 centuries), 1bn people. I am calculating this by computing 2 persons per each ancestor (their father and mother), so that 1 trillion people at around the start of the Middle Ages were required for me to have been born a thousand years later (40 generations). 

If I entertain the idea of a generation to be 50 years, then 40 generations would have passed from the beginning of the Current Era until now, still involving some 1.5 trillion people.

Can anyone help me with this please? 

That’s a great question and I think you’re right that there must have been more people than that, but no one really knows how many people have ever lived.  One can only guess.