Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

How to stop my mum from adopting a puppy? (for a very good reason, just read the details)?

So my dad is abusive. He shouts and hurts me and my mum. And for our pets he shouts at them, throws the cats across the room (not into a wall. In the floor but from a very long distance with great force) and one time our old dog (she passed) pooped in the house and he took her into the back garden and did something that hurt her, I don't know what it was as he lied about it but she did whimper very loudly and there was a loud bang. She looked scared when she came back in but no signs of injury. And now I am worried he is gonna hurt the new puppy. My mum still has to fill out a form and the shelter will call back once they have some matches for my mum to look at so I still have some time left, but how do I stop this? My mum also thinks this is NOT abuse since it rarely happens and stuff but he clearly doesn't care

Off topic, but you need to call CPS. And if you can’t muster up the courage to, get a trusted adult to. Try to get proof of what’s going on. Possibly leave your device recording the next time your father encounters you or your mother in case something happens. Your safety matters and so does your mothers.

You can't really. Not your dog. And you are a child so you can't stop an adult from doing what they want. 

If your father was really abusive then you'd call CPS or the cops though a non emergency number and tell them

You could call the shelter and tell them but chances are very high they will simply ignore you since there's no proof of abuse and no paper trial since you've never reported any of the abuse 

• ?

Call the shelter and tell them that any animal your mother brings home will be harmed by your father.  

Wait til your mom files abuse charges against your dad, he will go to jail & won't be home to abuse anyone or the dogs.  Wait til he is in jail.  Then penalties for animal abuse is a Federal crime, high fines & jail time.  Spousal abuse & child abuse will also bring jail time.  He is a wicked man & needs to be locked away.

I think a puppy would be great because he would take a break from abusing you 

I'd have to agree with the two here who say talk to the Shelter about whate's going on in your home.

If your ignorant idiot of a father is hurting you (and your mother) then fgs get help - for your dad.

• ?

a puppy will be traumatised by your father and will turn into a nervous wreck. It is very irresponsible by your mother for bringing a new pet into an abusive home. Did she  tell the shelter about your home situation? I would ring them up without telling your mother and explain to them your home situation and that is is unwise to give your mother any animal.

• ?

You could contact the shelter & tell them her name & that you  live in an abusive home and you do not want a dog brought into it since you have seen your Dad hurt the former pets.  You can say exactly what you said here about what he does to you & your mom and tell them to PLEASE = *not* find a dog (esp a puppy) for your family.

I wish you had some family member or teacher you could talk to about your OWN situation.  You ought not to have to live that way.