Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Mortgage underwriting ?

I’m trying apply for a mortgage soon. Does anyone know if my partner sending me half the rent to my main account is a red flag during the underwriting process? We have been doing this for a year now same amount and all. We are not applying for a mortgage together he is a business owner fairly new and doesn’t have a strong credit/background. Anyone been through something similar? What were the next steps 

Update.. we rent together the apartment isn’t mine... we currently split the rent and he sends me half because we use my account to pay the full every month. I’m wondering if him sending me money would be questionable to lenders. 

Although a mortgage company may ask for recent bank statements, that will be to make sure your down-payment is coming from legitimate savings.  Rental income is legitimate savings.  As Tavy says, they will lend based on your earnings. 

Please make sure the title deeds as well as the mortgage are in your sole name.  The lack of a legal process to unwind a shack-up through the courts means that you never want to own a place jointly with someone you are not married to.  If you get married you can always change the ownership/mortgage to joint.

• Tavy

In the UK Banks lend 3 X your annual salary. They will not take into account any monies you receive for rent. Just what you earn each year.