Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 2 months ago

Is short selling a tecnique used in day trading, investment or both?

And how do you short sell?

Short selling is more of a short term thing. It's just easier and less risky to buy put options for longer term positions. 

Start with learning to google search.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/10...

It is used by both.

There is one other common use that you did not mention, which is hedging. If I buy a lrge number of put options on a stock to a market maker, it is quite likely the market maker will immediately short the stock to reduce the amount he has at risk.

I have not made many short stock sales, but when I have I have called my broker and confirmed there are shares available to short then given him my order. I know at most brokerages, assuming you have a margin account and enough margin available, you make a short sale with a "sell to open" or a "sell short" online option.