Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Do I have to pay rent for a month im not staying?

Ive been living with my friend for 5 months now we have split the rent each month, I am not on any sort of lease ive just been giving her the money to give to the landlord, next month I cannot afford pay for March so I am moving out, I let her know this, I was late on letting her know 6 days left of febuary. She wants me to pay 900 $ for a month I will no longer be living here, am I obligated to pay? I need different opinions. 

I never signed a lease, I never made a deposit , and there was never any verbal agreement , I just gave her money for staying here.

I have also never been in a situation like this ever, Im very respectful responsible, I had an emergency come up and lost most of my money thats the reason why my notice was given so late

• Never ever rent. Landlord's are cuntz, who should not be paid to embezzle the retarded (all renters).

There WAS a verbal agreement--it was implied as soon as you gave her money for staying with her. Verbal means you talked about it--surely you didn't just hand her money and not talk to her at all.  You also agree--here in the question--that you should have given her more notice when you planned to move--and you say yourself that you are "late" with that notice--so your argument that there is no verbal agreement doesn't hold water. 

However--should you pay for March?  Not the entire month, no. You have told her you are not going to be living there in March. BUT--you're inconveniencing her really badly by not telling her until the end of this month. So you need to compensate her for SOMETHING. You can't just split hairs like this and be a jerk--you haven't given her any notice so she can find another roommate, you haven't told her in enough time to plan for your departure. She ought to be given something because you didn't notify her until late in February. I think that's your obligation as a FRIEND who allowed you to stay without having you sign anything or commit long-term. Half a month would be pretty fair, I think. 

Offer it to her, and THANK HER for letting you crash there--money or not--you owe her that much. 

• ?

I'm not sure on this one.  If this went to court then she would say you had a verbal month to month lease and thus you had to give proper notice to leave.  However, you were only there for 5 months and you could say you were staying there until you got back on your feet, and this was always the agreement. The key point is that 5 months is long enough that the judge could agree that is was a lease but its also short enough that they could agree that this was just an arrangement between friends, I'm really not sure which way this would go.

Another major consideration is that you don't say what state you are in and the law varies state to state. In a few states 15 days notice is enough to terminate a lease. In others it has to be 30 days from the next time rent is due. In others its simply 30 days notice. So, depending on the state law you may or may not owe them anything regardless of how much notice you gave.

If it were me I'd simply take the position that I owe them nothing but if they really go on about it then I might offer them $100 to forget it.  I wouldn't give them the full months rent, though it is possible a court would award them that (but not clear if they'd really bother taking this to court).

I am amazed how lightly people take contracts.  You have a verbal contract (if not written) with her.  When you say "I do agree to do this"  you say "I agree to do this."  I am sorry you have no money to pay but may be next time, dont promise people, dont go into contracts with others.  It shows your character.  I apologize if I am making you feel bad but next time, dont go into contracts like this. Best luck.

• L

If your name is NOT on the Rental Agreement/Lease..............then you do NOT have to pay anything once you leave.

Yes. You failed to give sufficient notice, so you owe rent for the last month. 

(Your lease arrangements may be verbal, but they're binding - you're on month to month terms, so need to give a month's full notice to move out)

• n2mama

Yes, you have established tenancy, so would be held to the same requirements as if you had a written lease. We don’t know where you are, and laws do vary by location, but most common is the requirement for 30 days notice of intent to vacate. You didn’t give notice early enough to meet that requirement for March, so you owe March rent. It doesn’t matter when you move out between now and March 31, but you do owe the rent for March.

Now, if you choose not to pay and just move out, the question really is, how likely is your friend to sue you? She certainly could, and if she did she would almost certainly win, but none of us know how likely she is to actually sue you. Of course, if you don’t do the right thing and pay the rent, even if she doesn’t sue you, it certainly will end the friendship, and if you have friends in common you can expect her to talk badly about you to them as well.

• Maxi

Legally you should give a months notice in writing and pay for that month if you leave early

Yes, you are obligated to pay, and you can be sued for your share. At the minimum, you had to notify her before February began that you would be vacating at the end of February.  Because you failed to do that, you owe March rent.  You can move out tomorrow if you like, but you owe March rent.  And if the legal notice period where you live is longer than one month (usually expressed as '30 days') then you need to give that notice.

• Rick B

No idea.  Did the two of you rent this apartment based on the fact that you would be there, or was she already in the apartment?  If she signed this lease under the assumption that you would be paying half, then you are morally obligated.

Have you tried to find a roommate to take over your rent?

Why did you wait so long to tell her?