Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

My cat hates my baby?

I recently asked how to introduce my cat to my baby. We introduced her to one cat today. I took your suggestions and put them in a quiet room and was super calm with the

Baby in my arms. I slowly lowered her. The cat started hissing and yowling. Be aware this cat is the sweetest cat there is. The other cats are fine with her. But what should I do? I really don’t wanna give the cat away. 

• ?

Give the cat a CHANCE!  Cat is used to being an only child.  It's the same as if you introduce a new baby to your older children.  There's going to be some jealousy.  You need to give the cat the same amount of attention you give the baby.  Put the baby DOWN on a blanket and let your cat sniff and explore on her own under your supervision.  Throw a few treats into the mix.  don't be surprised if the cat starts washing the baby.  My female cat did this when my son was a baby.  She felt she had to look after him and I was quite happy for her to be the big sister/cat nanny.  She washed his head and face every day.  was very protective over "her baby".  DO NOT get rid of the cat!  There is NO need to!

Cats are individuals, so predicting the behavior of an individual cat is hard.  What I will say is that most cats learn to adapt to babies.

Was the cat trapped in this quiet room?  That might have made her uneasy.

Were you kind of forcing the baby on her? 

Unless the cat is being aggressive towards the baby on it's own, I just wouldn't worry about it.  if the cat doesn't like the kid, she'll probably avoid it on her own.  And over time, especially if the kid is good to the cat, over time the cat will get used to the baby.

If the cat only shows aggression when put in weird situations with the baby, it's likely that the cat is reacting to the weird situation (like being in a locked room).  And you are inadvertently training her to associate that situation WITH the baby.

• Maxi

Anything new can upset cats and it can take a week or two for some to accept changes you have only done this today and already talking about 'giving the cat away'....... stop over reacting

perhaps find the cat another home

• M.P.

Don't give the cat away. Just like every living creature it has its own personality and preferences for who they want to associate with. So the baby is not a good fit, at the moment anyway. But in 2 years, that cat and that kid might be best friends, give it time. I hated pregnancy & babies, a few years down the road, I'm best friends with both of my funny, creative, energetic and crazy kids! Sometimes it's just an awkward phase, give the kid and the cat a chance to discover each other and bond on their own terms. Patience. Time.